British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps

leon21

Welcome to the forum, the helmet you have stamped HS 236 was made by Hadfield Ltd of

Sheffield and the No 236 being the Heat/Batch No of steel used.

Hadfield Ltd was both ( Manufacturer and Steel Supplier ).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First of all thanks, I learn so much about it, I really love ww1 and ww2 content,

but I don’t have space were to put this, only in my garage, and I was thinking about sell it to someone who can appreciate more and give a place this helmet deserves.

Can here someone tell me more or less what should I ask for this helmet and the best option to sell.

stay safe everyone, thanks a lot !

• Like 3

Go online and search for WW1 Brodie helmets for sale, there should be a few sites selling helmets

see what prices they are asking to get an idea what they are selling for.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, leon21 said:

Go online and search for WW1 Brodie helmets for sale, there should be a few sites selling helmets

see what prices they are asking to get an idea what they are selling for.

Thanks for responde, i alredy did but i cannt find this particular model, can someone help me?

• Like 4

Hi Miguel, here is a similar one for sale in the US at the moment for $229 which is about 189 Euro, hope this helps. If you want to sell it we have a classifieds section in the forum details below

To sell in the Classifieds area you need to be a Gold member. Gold membership can be bought via the top menu by clicking 'Store' then 'Subscriptions' then 'Gold member' where you can pay using the shopping cart via PayPal. Gold membership costs £15 for the first year which can be renewed subsequently for £10 per year. This allows Gold members to post their items for sale for one year, with a maximum of ten items at any one time. Please ensure that you read the Forum rules for the full disclaimer before using the classifieds area. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kenny andrew said:

Hi Miguel, here is a similar one for sale in the US at the moment for $229 which is about 189 Euro, hope this helps. If you want to sell it we have a classifieds section in the forum details below

To sell in the Classifieds area you need to be a Gold member. Gold membership can be bought via the top menu by clicking 'Store' then 'Subscriptions' then 'Gold member' where you can pay using the shopping cart via PayPal. Gold membership costs £15 for the first year which can be renewed subsequently for £10 per year. This allows Gold members to post their items for sale for one year, with a maximum of ten items at any one time. Please ensure that you read the Forum rules for the full disclaimer before using the classifieds area. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Very nice! Thanks alot, you guys are very helpful i will consider to become gold member! I cannot express my gratitude, thanks!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

My first post here.  It looks like a great forum.  I'm curious about the "apple green" color applied to early Brodie helmets.  With over 100 years of color fading and shifting, who can be certain?  Here's a link to the IWM's site and a Brodie in their collection.  I would tend to call this "apple green."  Your thoughts?

IWM Brodie

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum Old War Skule, Leon and Gildwiller are the brodie experts I'm sure they will be able to shed some light on the colour.   

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum apple  green is a lighter shade than that, looks more like brown if you look at page one of this post

at Brodie Helmets and Liner Variants ( how to date your helmet ) the 1st and 2nd photo's of an early

Brodie Helmet in apple green colour.

• Like 5

The apple green color in the IWM link does appear darker than the usual apple green color most often seen, however it is possible that it is original as well. I doubt there was any exacting standards to color matching back then, and the military wanted to field the helmets as quickly as possible. Some early helmets were a duck-egg, blue-grey color as well. I have read that a darker green was sometimes used to create a duller appearance for these helmets as the early model helmets did not have sand texture as later models did.  

• Like 5

Bluegrey? What about the helmets for the Royal Navy (grey?) and the RAF helmets, bluegrey?

• Like 3

I'm not an expert on the Navy and Air Force helmets, however I have read that a battleship grey color was also used in WW1 on the Brodie's. From what I have been able to find, most of the rimless first patterns were predominantly the apple green or similar shades of this green, with a very few being the blue-grey color. 

• Like 3

In WW1 the Royal Flying Corps wore khaki uniforms. On 1. April 1918, the R.F.C. and the R.N.A.S. were amalgamated to form the Royal Air Force, first new uniforms were khaki, the R.A.F. blue was not introduced till late in the war, so therefore the helmets were basicly khaki for most of the period. Later the helmets were theoreticly bluegrey, at least in WW2

• Like 4

Here's a thought.  Has anyone taken an apple green Brodie to a paint store and have it scanned to see the composition of the color?  I'd be interested in knowing the formula.

• Like 4

Interesting thought, I do not personally have one of these helmets at present. But maybe one of our UK members can get that accomplished. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Firstly my apologies as I recently posted my question in the helmet section but I think that this is a more appropriate place.

05D6F4A0-B77A-422B-8669-2B59C162822A.thumb.jpeg.5f8ece0689293212eccf679e5787c6c8.jpeg2CDE114C-33FF-4CD0-AFC8-A343DC6A36FC.thumb.jpeg.9f6b59e1aa2f701d9060cb0827e406cf.jpeg3ADEC30A-FF27-4C21-9CF8-194CD749284E.thumb.jpeg.b5b7126053cd392edc829a9394bd0743.jpegI have acquired a WW2 white painted helmet with a most unusual maker stamp of  262726 underneath the brim there are some other marks under the number that I cannot make out. It looks like it starts with L/ ? The liner is stamped JCS&W dated 1939 and has the squiggle mark with the numbers 32 under it. Can anyone help? I have handled many WW2 Brodie’s but never with markings like this one.

• Like 4

Welcome Chris13, the numbers 262726 are most likely identification numbers of the person who had the helmet. this was common  to paint  your number on the inside of the brim.

The liner was made by J Crompton Sons & Webb Ltd of London who made them from 1938 - 1943, the

squiggle mark is a batch code which would be a letter C with an Arrow through it and 32, you could try

rubbing talcum powder over the other marks you can't make out to enhance them.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

Hi Leon21

Thank you for your response . The numbers are not painted, they are embossed raised stamped into the rim. I have checked over and over to see if the number is painted but it is in the metal so to speak.....most odd.

• Like 2

Hi Chris, I still think it's a Persons Identification number which were 6 numbers long, you

find them more on AFS/NFS helmets could be the person had this done instead of painting

it on ? have you tried to enhance the other marks?

• Like 2

Hi Leon21

Yes I had another go at the other marks. There is what looks to be L/- at the start of the letters AR.......that is all I can make out at the moment.

• Like 2

Could be part of his name, some put their name on as well as their number, it's hard to tell, you

would have to sand it back or use paint stripper to remove the paint in that area to be sure.

Are there any markings on the outside of the helmet?

• Like 2

Hi Leon21

I think it is a name and that the start is a rank L/T looks like it may be Sayer or something similar. There are no markings on the outside of the helmet. I have attached a photo. The liner is the officers type with the Sorbo padding in the dome.

BF2E500B-BBD8-4057-B96A-0EC5FFEE57B8.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Leon

I have found a mark of what looks to be j j 1939 near the chin strap lug......the plot thickens?

8B10C0FE-D8FD-4C24-ACC3-C74A2EE4AC6D.jpeg

• Like 3

Excellent, There should be a 1 above the 1939, and J J could be the manufacturers batch code,

look in front or above  the batch code  there should be more letters.

• Like 2

Hi Leon

Correct! Thanks for the guidance. The helmet is a Sankey and Sons, JSS stamped and there is a 1 above 1939. It is just about visible in the picture. It can be clearly seen under a magnifying glass. Cheers!E9544412-DA44-432D-951F-A2EAA33A58D9.thumb.jpeg.803103832b4188413c6cf447158e18a7.jpeg

• Like 2