British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps

leon21

Hi Chris, glad we got there in the end, nice early helmet.

• Like 3

• Kenny Andrew changed the title to British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. Me and my brother both have WD motorcycles, mine's 1942 his is 1943, which we take to military events. My brother said he'd like a Brodie helmet to sit on the back as he's seen plenty of ww2 photos where the rider has a dispatch rider's helmet on but also has a Brodie helmet on the back ready for when he gets off his bike.

Trouble is all the Brodie helmets for sale weem to be dated early war, 39/40. Did they produce loads in 1940 and not make any after that, haven't seen any dated 43/44.. All the liners seem to be 39/40 too..

The only Brodie helmets I have are a 1940 Home Guard helmet (1 hole drilled in rim), and 2 desert helmets, which wouldn't match our bikes. I do have 2 Mk3 helmets, which would be the right age, but i've never seen a photo of one with a biker, the day I find said photo i'll be using it on my bike...lol

Thanks. Gary

192512983_3875127312596985_8345381521825452933_n.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Gary. here's a list of Manufacturers for you.

BMB = Briggs Motor Bodies made them from 1939 to 1945.

RO & CO = Rubery Owen & Co made them from 1939 to 1943.

HBH = Harrison Bros & Howson made them from 1938 to 1943.

EC & CO = E. Camelinat & Co made them from 1939 to 1944.

EB = Eveson Bros & Co made them from 1939 to 1943.

Just a matter of keep looking till you find one.

• Like 4

Found this interesting  WW2 Brodie helmet for sale, the helmet has the letters ATS on the front this would

have belonged to a member of Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service, formed in 1938 there is no maker mark

showing but chin strap stamped 1938 and liner stamped 1939.

It also has a painted insignia on the side for the 8th Anti-Aircraft Division, ATS women were used in mixed

Heavy AA Regiments from about 1942/43 covering the South of England, has her service No and name on

the inside rim.

Photo's from other sources.

ATS (1).jpg

ATS (2).jpg

ATS (3).jpg

ATS (4).jpg

• Like 3

Here's another WW2 helmet has the letters PDSA ( Animal Rescue ) from Squad No 3, there is no

makers mark but liner stamped BMB 1939. PDSA Squads recued peoples pets during the Blitz.

PDSA (1).jpg

PDSA (2).jpg

• Like 3

Here's a WW2 helmet from a scarce maker stamped AMC 1941 = Austin Motor Co of Cowley this is only

the 2nd one I've come across. Liner is by BMB and dated 1940, chin strap is not original.

AMC 1940 (1).jpg

AMC 1940 (2).jpg

AMC 1940 (3).jpg

• Like 3

Bought another helmet, can't seem to stop, lol. A Mk2 Brodie. This was removed from the Winston Barrocks in Lanark in the 90's by a builder doing the demolision work clearing the site for the new houses which are now there. 

It has a 1944 dated liner, looks original paint, but the inside is grey, but that looks to be original too as no colour under it? I know the Barracks was a training camp during the war, but I don't know anything else. I haven't found a mark on the helmet yet, paint is rough and thick and I don't really want to remove it unless I know exactly where to look. 

I got it for a good price and did think i'd remove the liner for my Mk3 helmet, but it's in such nice condition I should probably leave it as it is..

Regards

IMG_20210619_121602_654 (1).jpg

IMG_20210619_121612_881.jpg

IMG_20210619_121557_070.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Gary, nice helmet  I notice the X shape rubber piece is missing from the line, I saw one for sale

on E bay the other day if you are interested. Try looking for a maker mark were the chin strap lugs

are, that's were they should be.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, leon21 said:

Hi Gary, nice helmet  I notice the X shape rubber piece is missing from the line, I saw one for sale

on E bay the other day if you are interested.

Can't find the listing on ebay?

• Like 3

hi, im new here. i need some help with my old rusty brodie that im restoring. i have a hard time with the markings but maby one of you can shed some light on who made it and when,  it was in bad shape so i had to remove the paint to be able to end the rust, but now that it has been protected from further rust i also need help finding the right paint for it. as you can see, someone had painted over the helmet and while removing the paint i discovered that it was yellow once. i dont know how significant the yellow is but if it is not historically significant i will paint it the normal military color. speaking of which, would any of you be able to tell me where i can get the correct paint in a spray can, thanks 

203713879_550668809643571_4424100832594316453_n.jpg

201229589_1375209882862103_845014564450105633_n.jpg

197736753_326569032262436_3090741774335087485_n.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ninus17 said:

. i dont know how significant the yellow 

Hi. Does it have 3 holes drilled around the back of the helmet? I have a couple of sand colour helmets used for desert campaigns. Regards.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GaryR said:

Hi. Does it have 3 holes drilled around the back of the helmet? I have a couple of sand colour helmets used for desert campaigns. Regards.

nope, unfortunately it does not. but the yellow is not a sandy yellow, it like a real Lemmon sort of yellow 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, leon21 said:

Hi Gary, nice helmet 

Any idea why it would be grey on the inside, but a more standard military colour on the outside. Both colours look original to me, at least can't see any other colour underneath them and the gray can be seen under the liner too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ninus17 said:

nope, unfortunately it does not. but the yellow is not a sandy yellow, it like a real Lemmon sort of yellow 

One of mine is very yellow, the other more sandy, but they both have the 3 holes. Afraid i'm not much of an expert either..

• Like 3

Just now, GaryR said:

Any idea why it would be grey on the inside, but a more standard military colour on the outside. Both colours look original to me, at least can't see any other colour underneath them and the gray can be seen under the liner too.

the reason it is gray on the inside is that there was no paint so i had to treat the rust, the chemical converts the rust and stops it from rusting further, the process makes the metal sort of gray blue, 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ninus17 said:

the reason it is gray on the inside is that there was no paint so i had to treat the rust, the chemical converts the rust and stops it from rusting further, the process makes the metal sort of gray blue, 

Sorry, we're mixing up helmets, I meant why is my helmet grey on the inside, not yours.. lol

• Like 4

Hi Gary, I came a cross it when looking for WW2 British Brodie Helmets for sale.

Regarding your 3 hole brodie's are the holes in a line or in a triangle shape.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Ninus17, looking at your helmets marks they look like it's a BMB made helmet

Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd of Dagenham who made them from 1939 - 1945, can't see a date try rubbing

some talcum powder over the marks to enhance them.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, leon21 said:

Welcome to the forum Ninus17, looking at your helmets marks they look like it's a BMB made helmet

Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd of Dagenham who made them from 1939 - 1945, can't see a date try rubbing

some talcum powder over the marks to enhance them.

i dont have any talcum, can i use white chalk, the same kind used on a chalkboard or for sewing work ?

• Like 3

Yes try it rub it over the marks then smooth it in with your finger.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, leon21 said:

Hi Gary, I came a cross it when looking for WW2 British Brodie Helmets for sale.

Regarding your 3 hole brodie's are the holes in a line or in a triangle shape.

The 3 holes are the ones across the back to attach the towel, or whatever it's called for desert use, not the triangle pattern.

• Like 3

On 19/06/2021 at 22:33, leon21 said:

Try looking for a maker mark were the chin strap lugs

are, that's were they should be.

A bit of paint stripper by the lugs and found the makers mark, no wonder I can never find them when they are painted.. Unfortunately the helmet with a 1944 liner is marked as BMB 1939.. Or, fortunately, as I will now nick the liner, without feeling guilty, to use in one of my Mk3 helmets as it's a more suitable date for that. There are other markings, looks like an H and a 7 and something above the date, looks like an L..  Regards. Gary

IMG_20210622_195157_180.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like another letter between the H and 7 this is the batch code of steel used to make the helmet.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, leon21 said:

Looks like another letter between the H and 7 this is the batch code of steel used to make the helmet.

Yes, you can just see the top curve of a letter. Regards

• Like 3