British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps

leon21

Here we have a WW1 British made rimless helmet stamped HS 28 = Hadfield  Ltd of Sheffield both ( Manufacturer & Steel Supplier ).

With Heat/Batch No 28, has no liner or chinstrap.

Photo's from other sources.

HS 28 (1).jpg

HS 28 (2).jpg

HS 28 (3).jpg

• Like 4

Here we have another British WW1 helmet stamped H/S 307 = Hadfield  Ltd of Sheffield both ( Manufacturer & Steel Supplier )

With Heat/Batch No 307, has no liner or chinstrap.

HS 307 (1).jpg

HS 307 (2).jpg

HS 307 (3).jpg

• Like 4

Spotted this nice looking WW1 British rimless private purchase Officers Brodie  helmet for sale, it has a silk and leather

liner made by Lincoln Bennett & Co of Piccadilly London, with Registration No 666105.

There is no makers stamp on the helmet rim but it has a bronze Artillery  badge fitted to front of helmet.

s-l1600[7] (2).jpg

s-l1600[7].jpg

s-l1600[8].jpg

s-l1600[10].jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Kudos for a comprehensive and informative site!  Have enjoyed looking through the posts.  I'm hoping someone can help me identify the Manufacturer & Steel Supplier of this British Brodie.  It carries the red stamp inside the liner.  /A110 is very clear but mark ahead is very difficult to read - it may be the letter A but almost impossible to read.  Thanks in advance.u630xco.jpgW5zb5rI.jpgNboxxRC.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum Tyneside Rob, looking at your helmet marks I would say the Steel

Supplier is Edgar Allen & Co Ltd of Sheffield with Batch No 110.

I don't think there is a Manufacture stamp mark, which would suggest to me that it is made

by one of the Manufactures not part of the Sheffield Munitions Groups.

Two makers come to mind that did not mark their helmets but only had the Steel Suppliers

mark and batch number they were Joseph Sankey & Son Ltd, and Bleriot Ltd.

You could try rubbing talc into the marks to see if there is another mark before the letter A.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leon21 said:

Welcome to the forum Tyneside Rob, looking at your helmet marks I would say the Steel

Supplier is Edgar Allen & Co Ltd of Sheffield with Batch No 110.

I don't think there is a Manufacture stamp mark, which would suggest to me that it is made

by one of the Manufactures not part of the Sheffield Munitions Groups.

Two makers come to mind that did not mark their helmets but only had the Steel Suppliers

mark and batch number they were Joseph Sankey & Son Ltd, and Bleriot Ltd.

You could try rubbing talc into the marks to see if there is another mark before the letter A.

Thank you so much - I've been down the rabbit hole on this and thought it might be Edgar Allen but wanted to defer to the experts here.  Cheers!  I tried the talc method with no result so believe the maker to be one of the ones you referenced.  On another matter - I don't think there was a donut installed beneath the liner so perhaps this was produced in late 1916 - 1917?  

• Like 5

I think most likely made mid to late 1916, It's not clear when the donut was added in 1917.

• Like 5

Yes the donut was added in 1917, but as Leon said, no specific timeframe on when it was added. The US did not elect to use this option for their M1917 helmets. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

hallo! i have a Brodie which is wierd, the parkings are: JSS, 57, 1941 and either and 1 or an i, could people check if its real or not also. it doesnt have an laather nor elestic strap, its just a Cotton (not sure cause i dont know that stuf) strap, if photos are needed tell me. it has a flat head screw up top, its either kopper or brass. no donut but also no rubber(might have been removed) its in a pretty bad condition, i Think someone tried to restore it. it has a bad paintjob.

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum Nix, what you have is a WW2 helmet made by Joseph Sankey & Sons Ltd.

The Number 57 is the Batch code and 1/1941 the date, if you could post a photo of it it would be

most helpful.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello! I m new in the collectors community 😀 and would like to begin a little collection of helmets. I begin with a brodie MK II but I have a fews questions for experts (seems I m in the good place ^^)

The one how sell it to me say that it was his grandfather's helmet, how was a Belgium resistant (reason why a tissue badge is glue on the front of the helmet) I wait still a few weeks for a picture how will confirm that before to remove it or no. The big question I ask myself is "what kind of "amortissor" is in the liner. It doesn t look like artisanal and I only found a picture who seems to be the same in this forum (last picture = leon21's picture). Hope you could help me 🤗

The liner is a BMB 1940 in a reather good condition and the helmet is taged "L33 1941" on the side, near the jugular's fixation. The screw on the top of the helmet is probably more recent. The "amortissor" is particulary stranged . Does this helmet seem coherent to you? 🤔

helmet 1.jpg

helmet 2.jpg

helmet 3.jpg

helmet 4.jpg

helmet 5.jpg

helmet 6.jpg

helmet 7.jpg

helmet 8.jpg

helmet 9.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum Tom, the helmet appears to be British made not Belgium they produced their

Brodie helmets post WW2. The stamp mark L33 is the Batch number of Steel used and dated 1941,

The BMB liner is missing it's rubber X shape piece which may have been broken off leaving the round

piece of rough looking rubber behind. Not all manufacturers stamped their names on the rim, the screw

holding the liner in place is not original.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

hello!

Thank you for your prompt response 🤗

Indeed, i have a belgium helmet too and they are rather different. I took a closer look and see that the round peace of rubber is also present in the belgium rubber X shape. (it age very badly...)

so I will try to found a new cross and scew 🙂 

Thanks again 🙂

helmet 10.jpg

• Like 4

You can find brass replacement screws and washers on line and second hand original liners also.

• Like 3

Hey there, Im going to post two of my helmets for you guys.

This one is a HV 649. It is magnetic, while still having a rim. 

I believe this one may have been issued to the US navy in the interwar period, but I am not too sure, as I have not been able to find any evidence of someone being killed from bullet wounds to the head. I have seen the same white tag on one or two other unique helmets, one of them an SSH-39 captured and used by the Luftwaffe, and then by the US army. The tag on that one said US Army 1943 (Or some other date). So I'm not sure if this helmet said something similar at one time, but it might have. I might post it to a WWII forum and see what they say. Not too sure about the bullet holes, if nothing else it may have been used as target practice. 

File_006 (1).jpeg

File_007 (1).jpeg

File_009 (1).jpeg

File_008 (1).jpeg

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum Greg, your helmet was made by Hutton & Sons of Sheffield, the Steel

Supplier being Vickers Ltd of Sheffield.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Here we have a British made WW1 helmet stamped M/A 1 = J&J. Maxfield & Sons Ltd of Sheffield

( Manufacturer ) and Edgar Allen & Co Ltd of Sheffield ( Steel Supplier ) this has to be the first

batch of steel this company produced in 1916, helmet in very good condition for it's age still has it's original liner and chin strap.

MA1 (2).jpg

MA 1 (3).jpg

MA 1 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Here we have another British made WW1 helmet stamped D/A 81 = James Dixon & Sons Ltd of

Sheffield ( Manufacturer ) and Edgar Allen & Co Ltd of Sheffield ( Steel Supplier ) and Heat/Batch

No 81 of steel used. Helmet has US 91st Wild West Division emblem on front.

DA 81 (2).jpg

DA 81 (3).jpg

DA 81 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Here we have another made British WW1 helmet stamped LS 21 these marks are thought

to be the Leadbeater & Scott Co of Sheffield but this has never been proven.

LS 21 (2).jpg

LS 21 (3).jpg

LS 21.jpg

• Like 4

Here we have another made British helmet stamped FS 201 = Thomas Firth & Sons Ltd

of Sheffield both ( Manufacturer & Steel Supplier ) with Heat/Batch No 201.

Helmet in good condition still has it's liner and chinstrap.

FS 201 (2).jpg

FS 201 (3).jpg

FS 201 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Hello guys, i just found one helmet in good condition, it is the portuguese helmet used in ww1 with the original color, leather interior.

It as HS 236 marked inside , is this helmet worth something? 
thanks everyone and stay safe.

• Like 5

Hello Miguelbernardo, what you have is the 1917/30 Model helmet. The DCT stood for "Defenca Civil Territorial", part of the Portuguese Legion.  These helmets started off as WW1 British made helmets, then in 1930, they were refurbished/reissued and used until 1939, when a new model 1940 was introduced, however they were still in use for some time by the DCT and other auxiliary organizations. The green cross stood for the Cross of Aviz, used by the Legião Portuguesa or Portuguese Legion, which started in 1936, and was dissolved in the 1970's. 

The legion had three tiers: Escalão das Actividade Militares, 18-45 years old, Escalão Privativo da DCT, 45 years and older, and Escalão de Serviços Moderados, used for members over the age of 60. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1