Infantry Assault Badges

stewy

nice Stewy, I've never come across one of those before , do you know who the maker is? :thumbsup:

Cheers Stewy so that could be A.D. Schwerdt or Adolf Scholze , did anybody ever find out for sure who AS was ?

Yes I always thought Scholtz was the most likely ,for years nobody had any idea who it was and allot of people thought it was Assman for some reason :huh:

Yes I always thought Scholtz was the most likely ,for years nobody had any idea who it was and allot of people thought it was Assman for some reason :huh:
God knows why,they're bugger all like Assmanns. Stewy

probably because it starts with a A :D In fact I remember a time when the experts were saying they were fake ,just shows you how opinions can change and how wrong people can be.

I'm still waiting on opinion to change on the Panzer destruction badges with the weave moving in the so called wrong direction and those lovely JFS General assault badges with the rivets , the experts say they are fake but ask them why and they can't tell you other than it's a "known fake" and there are loads of them about at shows ,well that's maybe because the experts have told everybody that they are fake and nobody want's to touch them :smilie_daumenneg:

In saying that I've not seen any for sale in a while , I wonder where they have all gone ,maybe the experts have them all :D

probably because it starts with a A :D In fact I remember a time when the experts were saying they were fake ,just shows you how opinions can change and how wrong people can be.

I'm still waiting on opinion to change on the Panzer destruction badges with the weave moving in the so called wrong direction and those lovely JFS General assault badges with the rivets , the experts say they are fake but ask them why and they can't tell you other than it's a "known fake" and there are loads of them about at shows ,well that's maybe because the experts have told everybody that they are fake and nobody want's to touch them :smilie_daumenneg:

In saying that I've not seen any for sale in a while , I wonder where they have all gone ,maybe the experts have them all :D

I've seen a couple of JFS GAB's lately. They're about. Stewy

were they being sold as originals or copies Stewy ?

Yea I've just never been convinced there was anything wrong with them, if some one could give some proof such as these where made by such and such in the 70's then that would be enough for me.I have spoken to many other dealers who think they are OK too but now when I get one it goes into my repro section which is a pity if these were made during the war.

The quality of any I have come across have always been excellent ,I've always been of the opinion these were a batch of badges made by JFS which were never issued hence there good condition and not because there are fake, but who knows!

Yea I've just never been convinced there was anything wrong with them, if some one could give some proof such as these where made by such and such in the 70's then that would be enough for me.I have spoken to many other dealers who think they are OK too but now when I get one it goes into my repro section which is a pity if these were made during the war.

The quality of any I have come across have always been excellent ,I've always been of the opinion these were a batch of badges made by JFS which were never issued hence there good condition and not because there are fake, but who knows!

I agree the quality's exceptionally high if they're fake. Test production maybe or out bid on the franchise. Stewy

Yes the quality is very high and the construction far more complex than need be ,you would imagine a copy to be the reverse of these two factors.I think the main reason they were called fakes was because nobody had apparently seen one before the 80's but if they had just been unearthed then that would be exactly why they had not been seen before.I unearth things every month that have not been seen since WW2 but that does not make them fake , every item has to make it's first appearance some time, most long ago but I'm sure there is much still to be discovered.

Here's the badge in question left is the accepted version ,right is the one with the logo condemned as fake.

If you were going to make a fake why add a perfect JFS logo to it? seems like a lot of extra work , I actually prefer the one with the logo. :huh:

jfsreal.jpg

jfsfake.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stewy,nice badge, what's the full name of that maker ? my books are in the shop.

Hi Kenny these were once thought to be unmarked Josef Feix und Sohne. But the thinking now is that they are an unmarked Richard Simm & sohne variant,due to a few features being more the style of the latter marker. Stewy

P.S. In S Webers IAB book they're listed as u/m JFS's

cheers Stewy, just goes to prove how many different opinions there are out there , it can all get rather confusing :D

• 2 weeks later...

How rare is that one stewy

Nice badge Stewy, :thumbsup:

funny how only a few years ago some people thought the souval maker with the rounded S was post war ,just shows you how opinion can change with a bit of research.

How rare is that one stewy

Hi Don,they're one of those iab's that are like buses. When they do show up there's usually two!

@ Kenny,i know what you mean. There's two small R.S m/mark variants. One with "dots" & one without. Something i only noticed a while ago.i've got examples of both. Where's my anorak? Stewy

nice badge Stewy I always liked the semi hollow types :thumbsup: