First aircraft shot down of WW2

leon21

A Heinkel He 111H lies on a Scottish hillside in October 1939. This is a photo of the first German aircraft to be

downed over the British Isles in World War 11- hence the considerable interest being displayed by locals and

the Military. It was credited to Spitfires of Nos 602 and 603 Squadrons.

post-3823-1322771141_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My father as a boy watched this aircraft being chased by spitfires over Portobello before it was shot down over East Lothian.

• Like 1

A famous photo published many times in books and magazines.Thimk i was around 7 when i first saw this.

• Like 1

I've certainly seen it a few times. However there seems to be two sets of crosses on the wing tops - a smaller set further out from the large ones.

Was this a standard practice?

• Like 1

first time I have seen this photo, but really interesting. Also really puts in perspective the size of an HE-111. As a main bomber for Germany it really was tiny when compared to B-17s and Lancasters to soon come. More on the size of a B-25 I'd say.

• Like 1

Might be going to see the beautiful example at RAF Hendon soon. She is a one of a kind paratrooper example, one of the last in the world. Will also get to see the only complete Stuka in Europe, They are damn large aircraft actually those Stukas, they seem small but in reality they are larger than you would imagine :o

• Like 1

Might be going to see the beautiful example at RAF Hendon soon. She is a one of a kind paratrooper example, one of the last in the world. Will also get to see the only complete Stuka in Europe, They are damn large aircraft actually those Stukas, they seem small but in reality they are larger than you would imagine :o

plenty of pics raf :lol:

• Like 1

Dave i think the double crosses was something i seem to recall reading was an early war practice that soon was stopped.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, never seen that before.

I have read that the He111 was really obselete by 1940 but had to soldier on as the Germans had nothing better. The allies generally had much better aircraft except perhaps the FW190 and Me109. In mass production that is.

• Like 1

I'm sure Iv'e read somewere that the Me 109 was credited with shooting down more aircraft than any other plane

in WW2. with the Hurricane coming second. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, never seen that before.

I have read that the He111 was really obselete by 1940 but had to soldier on as the Germans had nothing better. The allies generally had much better aircraft except perhaps the FW190 and Me109. In mass production that is.

The He111 was originally designed under the guise of a civilian transport plane (no surprise) so was very limited in capability as a heavy bomber, as was the entire German bomber wing of the luftwaffe. Fighter aircraft were different because fighters could be designed as civilian racing craft for flying clubs before the war, smack on a machine gun and presto! fighter.

• Like 1

Going back to the photo I read in "After the Battle" magazine a few years ago that a boy who witnessed the plane wreck and is in that photo joined the RAF post war. When he was stationed in Germany he was delighted to learn that a german officier in the base had been the navigator in the He111. Although he did not know it at the time vertibrae in his back had been broken by the impact and he had to have medical treatment later.

The rear gunnner was killed by shots from the spitfires but the pilot was unhurt.

• Like 1

Here's another photo of the Heinkel 111 from a different angle, I'm surprised the pilot got out unhurt looking at

damaged to the front of the aircraft. ;)

post-3823-1323003547_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's what I remember Leon. Or perhaps with only minor injuries. Looks like they broke the nose open on the ground possibly to release the navigator.

• Like 1

I don't have the article in ATB to hand but it showed a photo taken earlier with the navigator standing holding his back.

• Like 1