Another Fleabay problem

Dave

Just seen on the ML forum that some people are selling BW pictures of modern Falschrimjager re enactors as genuine WW2 photographs of FJ in action.

Just a warning if anyone is tempted to buy off Fleabay. As usual they are doing nothing about it!

also the ww2 armour pics most marked original, though this is the case with one or two sellers i can guarantee that if you take the time to look through the panzer pics the same picture will crop up several times by different sellers. same sellers different accounts? the US sellers are particularly bad.

Its buyer beware and not Ebays job to regulate what is sold after all they wont know a real photo from a fake one nor im sure are they able to watch everything that gets sold.if someone takes a risk its their fault and between them and the seller.Ebay do give buyer protection and wii arbitrate.But why would anyone buy militaria on ebay anyway!

I have to say, although it is full of fakes, I have had many real items from eBay, its not all trash. I bought a scabbard for one of my HJ knives at last as one popped up on there a while ago, its genuine

Fair comments. But if eBay gets reports of fraud should they not investigate the seller?

I think Dave is right. Thing I dislike about ebay policies is it pulled bayonets, knives and much militaria on 'ethical' grounds but continues to allow clear fraud and fakes without a care. Remember though ebay is not your 'social shopping market' it is a business just like Tesco or Asda and they and ebay can decide what their sales policy is.

What ebay would need to change is a massive lawsuit brought on by bidders charging ebay permits fraud and misleading within its sales practices. Even with a lawsuit the best that possibly could be achieved is a requirement that ebay certify sellers and provide license that some sellers are ensured to an ethical policy of sales. The likelihood of achieving this amongst a collective of sellers would be difficult though.

There is a well known German bidding site for militaria that certifies all sellers and bidders and you must submit copies of your passport or other Id to them to certify you are who you claim before your account it created. It is also held for law enforcement as in Germany sale of NAZI items is highly controlled and many illegal.

:o

Just to prove the point - I have just seen a picture in a Tankograd book that is listed for sale on e-bay at the moment. I only know because a member of ML forum posts german armour e-bay listings which by coincidence I read this morning. In his posts I have seen many pictures that have been published or are well known Bundesachiv photos that have been copied. No way are they German soldiers snapshots.

The Tankograd pic was credited to Thomas Anderson a well known German armour historian.

As well as the FJ re enactment pics!

the major problem with ebay in regards to fakes is the unsuspecting buyers, new to collecting. i can guarantee that ebay has been the cause of many new collectors simply giving up collecting.

i will put my hand up and admit i was burnt using ebay,(the cross i received wasn't the one pictured in listing, the seller answered all my questions correctly in regards to sizes and markings then sent me a peice of shit) so now i just browse.

no disputing what raf says about bargains, but ebay guarantees are worthless and if you meet a chancer that knows his stuff, you could come a cropper.

A final note, when you mention to other collectors that the medal that they are currently looking at all misty eyed, is purchased it from ebay some look as though the said medal is a plague carrier.

i wonder how much depreciation a genuine medal suffers from simply because it was purchased from ebay.

perhaps some collectors don't care as long as they can confirm that they are genuine, but i bet that a lot of buyers still won't touch simply because it is from ebay.

bargains aren't bargains unless you receive a genuine item with a guarantee that means something.

• Like 1