RICHARD hOLMES

STUKA STEVE

Sorry to see that the great historian Richard Holmes has died at just 65.Ive held Richard Holmes in very high regard for many years and must have read at least seven of his books.His BBC documentaries such as war walks were superb and he had great enthusiasm and a brilliant storytelling ability which was always enjoyable to watch.His knowledge in many areas such as WW1 was unsurpassed.

He will be sadly missed and leaves a big gap in his field.

Yes I was sad to see Richard had passed on to the great hall of Valhalla. His programmes and most of his books were of quality, he really knew his stuff.

I believe at one time he was the highest ranking TA officer in GB. As a soldier as well as a historian he could empasize with the history of war.

The war walks were superb recreations of the events. I remember him drinking champagne at the point were British officers had paused to do just that during an attack.

War walks was great, Prof. John Erickson is gone too now, we were going to ask him to do a forward for the book but unfortunately it was too late.