Battle for CAEN

leon21

Rudolf Wuester was a gunner in a Tiger Tank with the Heavy SS-Panzer Battalion 102 in action from 10 to 30 July on

Height 112 near Caen. He recalls taking a mysterious ( Englishman ) prisoner south of this point.

Through a gap in the forest I saw an English soldier limping. We fired a warning salvo for him to halt and waved

him towards us. He climbed on the tank and we took him back with us I spoke reasonable English and attempted to

start up a conversation with him. He spoke but not in good English, after I'd repeated several questions he suddenly

replied to me in a broken German. He explained that he was not English, but in fact a German from Dirschau in

Poland. I imediately brought the Tank to a halt, I made it clear to him that I knew he was a member of the Polish

army under General Anders. And that I was officially acknowledging him as a combatant. I told him should he fall into

other hands again, he should on no account say he was German, because he would be shot on the spot.

In spite of his wound, I let him jump down from the Tank and told him to sit down in the roadside ditch and wait for

his own men, who were not far away, to pick him up. Perhaps he's still alive and can comfirm this.

I love these type of stories. :P

• Like 1

Nice story.A noble act by the German gunner.I wonder if the chap survived.He was lucky.Had he fallen into anothers hands the outcome might have been different.

• Like 1