Battle of Anzio Pics

leon21

Here are some pictures of the 2nd Battallion Nottingshire foresters in action at the Anzio, and at the village of Cassino 1944.

(1) The Anzio Bridgehead a 6-pounder anti-tank gun under enemy fire.

(2) Two foresters using a captured machine gun.

(3) Again foresters using a captured anti-tank gun

(4) Pontoon bridge over the river Garigliano,in the back ground is the village of Cassino.

(5) Foresters in action in the streets of Cassino.

post-3823-1303760045_thumb.jpg

post-3823-1303760100_thumb.jpg

post-3823-1303760142_thumb.jpg

post-3823-1303760185_thumb.jpg

post-3823-1303760236_thumb.jpg

Yes quite right Greg...........I was surprised to see the British using captured German equipment.

I am not surprised, during WWII all sides used arms, vehicle and equipment that was captured. It has always been common place on battlefields to do so, it just is not widely documented for a few reasons, first weapon book authors after wards tout the weapons of the side they want to write about and ignore battlefield pick ups. Secondly, I have a sneaking suspicion friendly fire incidents have happened when captured weapons are used, you hear an MG32 to your right and shoot at it, not realizing it is your heavy weapons squad with a captured gun and you hit someone... I think such things do and have happened on the battlefield but are hushed and covered up.

I once spoke with a Vietnam War Special Forces Long Range Patrol veteran. He said his entire squad would use captured AK47s. This made sense behind enemy lines, when you open fire on someone, use their own weapon type and confuse the high hell out of them, they think they are shooting at their own side who is returning fire, throws them into a tizzy and you can wipe out the squad.