unclaimed medals

mr bridger

Anybody claimed medals for a relative in ww2 that did not claim them at the time or that they were KIA. My mothers brother (my uncle) was killed in the north africa campaign in 43 and nobody at the time realised that the family are entitled to his awards all my mother has is his insignia and as she's getting on a bit I would like to get the awards for her, i managed to get a picture of his grave in Tunisia for her and she was emotional as one would expect but it did give her a satisfaction if you know what i mean. Any info most appreciated.

• Like 1

Anybody claimed medals for a relative in ww2 that did not claim them at the time or that they were KIA. My mothers brother (my uncle) was killed in the north africa campaign in 43 and nobody at the time realised that the family are entitled to his awards all my mother has is his insignia and as she's getting on a bit I would like to get the awards for her, i managed to get a picture of his grave in Tunisia for her and she was emotional as one would expect but it did give her a satisfaction if you know what i mean. Any info most appreciated.

G, is your man for this info I'll try to contact him and see if he can help.

• Like 1

Mr B,

It should be fairly straightforward to make a claim.

The link below has details, address and an application form.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/medals/claiming.html

You will have to provide as much info about his service as possible and some additional information like proof of death and proof of next of kin status.

If you are interested you can also get his service records - I can provide a link if required.

If you need any more help please don't hesitate to let me know.

G

• Like 1

Mr B,

It should be fairly straightforward to make a claim.

The link below has details, address and an application form.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/medals/claiming.html

You will have to provide as much info about his service as possible and some additional information like proof of death and proof of next of kin status.

If you are interested you can also get his service records - I can provide a link if required.

If you need any more help please don't hesitate to let me know.

G

Thanks for the info it is appreciated, and a link for his service record would be good as a start point for research.

Cheers Mr B

• Like 1

Mr B,

See thread about Service Records for the link.

A word of caution about relatives service records. Always prepare yourself to read things that may be unexpected.

It was a bit of a shock to receive my granddad's papers. We did not know about the desertion, fraudulent enlistment and subsequent Court Martial. Nor did we know that he was convicted of taking a vehicle without the owners consent and being reduced to private because of it. Must be why he never received a LS&GC.

Although he did end up as a WOII and was involved in the 1953 Coronation Parade in London.

• Like 1

If anything that makes them more interesting ,seems he was a bit of a character :D better watch what I say who knows what my uncle Jack got up to :D

• Like 1