Adoo Hunter 1973

Kommando

here is the ww2 type rucksack i got, with the kit from my 'SAS in Oman' impression. it could also pass for Borneo too in the 60s like the pic attached. not the best of back grounds ill admit, i just wanted to see for myself how it looks on (kinda hard when its on your back!) :P maybe some time ill take more shots in a better place with the rest of the kit.

O2-2.jpg

Borneo6066-kb.jpg

Looking good Brandon, a visit to the beach would make a better background ,as long as you didn't take the M16 :D

Looking good Brandon, a visit to the beach would make a better background ,as long as you didn't take the M16 :D

cheers kenny. youre right, the M16 wouldnt do it justice..the bren gun on the other hand would look far better on the beach! :lol:

Was the SAS even using the M16 in the 60s? The original issues of the weapon to US forces in Vietnam had a terrible jamming problem and were very unreliable. This was sorted fast but US Special Forces of the period were using the M14 Carbine and the AK47 (shoot the same thing as them enemy, it confuses the hell out of them and makes them think they are shooting at their own forces when you hear the same gunfire sound returned)

Was the SAS even using the M16 in the 60s? The original issues of the weapon to US forces in Vietnam had a terrible jamming problem and were very unreliable. This was sorted fast but US Special Forces of the period were using the M14 Carbine and the AK47 (shoot the same thing as them enemy, it confuses the hell out of them and makes them think they are shooting at their own forces when you hear the same gunfire sound returned)

Hi Greg, yeah they did use them.

it was the 1st M16 (AR 15) made by Armalite that had no forward assist (hence the jamming) & the duck bill flash hider and no mag release safety feature- this is the one i have in the picture (airsoft not deact). When Colt bought the design from Armalite they made the modification of the forward assist that was designated XM16E1 that would become the M16A1 by 67 ( a much better & more reliable version) and later A2, A3 & A4 post vietnam. It was designed for south vietnam jungle warfare & the US army were issued the AR-15 in 63 and the M16A1 became standard by 69 & were used extensively by special forces such as Navy SEALs & the LRRPs.

The SAS Claret Missions started in 64 through 66 so its the correct time frame for them to recieve them & remember the Borneo confrontation was also jungle warfare (albeit a lesser known war) against communist insurgents as in Vietnam & with the US having close ties to us..we soon had them. The SAS also used the SLRs some with the barrel cut down, the L4 7.62 varient of the Bren gun, they even had claymore mines & also the Australian Owen's sub machine gun. the pic i attached is of a well known SAS guy (later severely wounded) on a Claret mission with an M16. Sorry the pic isnt good, heres better ones. cheers.

bor4.jpgbor3.jpg

bor2.jpgbor1.jpg

Bor5.jpg

post-5213-1298938823_thumb.jpg

Interesting! The M16 eventually became an excellent weapon but had a bumpy start. I would have expected British forces to be using weapons more closely attached to the area of operations and colonial past, ie FN FAL, Enfields. Not to say they did not but I was unaware they had their hands on the M16 as well.

As for US special forces it is interesting that SEALS and LRRP teams were using many WWII and Korean War era weapons (to a degree). Often going for the M3 Grease Gun and M14. Of course jungle warfare had a host of issues for all arms and you took what worked out there.

I look forward to more photos.

Cheers Greg, yeah they did use the SLR too and cut the barrel down because its Huge for jungle warfare! lol! ive got a pic somewhere of a guy with one. but the marines and gurkhas mainly used the SLR over there aswell. ill put some more up when i can...with better locations that are more 'Borneo' or 'Oman' looking, instead of the back of the house lol! my next shoot is of Falklands SAS/SBS so ill get them up soon, for a giggle! cheers.