ww2 british medal clasps

LACKIE14

am i right in saying that the clasps were stamped rather than cast? if so what is the chance of a clasp with all the correct lettering, holes etc having a imperfection on the exterior edge i.e it looks as though when stamped the metal wasn't in the press correctly?

could one of these clasps slip through

• Like 2

I honestly don't know Alex as all ours come from vets it's not something I've looked at in detail before, how does it compare to the ones you got from us?

• Like 1

looking at it head on its exactly the same except one side appears thinner, the other side appears perfect except it has an extra bit. i would have to bring it in so you would know what i'm talking about. i can vouch 100% for the seller who's name i wouldn't like to put on forum

• Like 2

I've heard the copies are really good , but best bet is to bring it into the shop, bring some of your other bars in too so we can compare

• Like 1

it could be OK with an imperfection although these would normally have been discarded as they would have been caused by a slip when being machine made. They should be stamped and not cast and the four holes should be precisely in each corner again because it is machine made, but bring it in we will take a look.

• Like 1

does any one know if the blanks are holed first before being struck or after?

i wil bring it in and let you have a look at it

• Like 2

I've no idea , I would have thought after but that's just a guess

• Like 1

trawling through website after website, plenty of info regarding the striking of the early british campaign medals the different mints uk or calcutta etc the dies, heating the blanks, planchet (are blank medals also called the same as blank coins?) what to look for etc

but nothing on the manufacturing process of the british ww2 campaign stars why? do the medal web sites just assume we all know the manufacturing processess involved. just received an email from another collector who though hasn't heard of 8th army clasp copies personally, is going to make enquires and get back, will let you know the outcome

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/hartleyi/bobclasp.htm a great page for checking out fake clasps, plenty of pics of genuine clasps and how to spot the fake aircrew europe star may be of interest to someone

• Like 2

Excellent webpage Alex, I was talking to a medal collector today and he said the Battle of Britain clasps are heavily faked but he did not know of any of the common clasps being faked other than the obvious fakes which are easy to spot. The reason the common clasps are not faked is because it would cost more to make them than they would sell for. 

• Like 1