can anyone state the medals

Greg

Good article in the Herald about the BNP at it again, it states the photo shows the veteran with medals that don't quite add up but lacks detail on how... so I thought I'd bring it to the group.... so guys... what medals does the right have and are the 'correct'

BNP making up WWII history?

Hi Greg,

I can't make out the bottom row of medals they seem to be the commemorative type and there are loads of these ,G will probably know better from the ribbons.

If they are the commemorative ones there is really no problem as long as he does not wear them with his official ones, and he does seem to be keeping them separate.

If anything he seems to be missing a medal as he is not wearing a defence medal.

I think it also said that he did not serve under Montgomery as far as I know all British troops were under the command of Montgomery during Operation Overlord.

He has the correct medals for the campaign in NWE. 39/45 Star, France & Germany Star and 39/45 War Medal. He possibly is due a Defence Medal but I think it needed 3 years service in the in non-operational areas subjected to air attack or closely threatened. Given he was only 20 then it is highly probable that the 3 he has up are his entitlement.

The 2nd bar are, as Kenny states, commemorative medals. They are not officially awarded but bought by the person in question. As long as they are not worn on the same bar as the official medals there is nothing wrong with them. Although they should perhaps by right be worn on the right breast.

It's a really crap, small photo but he does seem to have a Normandy Medal. This was designed to commemorate the whole Normandy Campaign and not just D-Day.

It's really a nothing story. Other than the fact that the paper doesn't like the BNP and they are trying to find things to embarrass them and create bad publicity. It's quite sad that they have to pick on some guy in a publicity shot rather than concentrate on the policies of the BNP themselves.

Possibly the only thing that he can be picked up on may be the extent of his involvement in Market Garden. It was the 11th Armoured, 43rd Wessex and 50th Northumberland Divisions that were involved in the drive up the roadway. however, the 51st may have held a portion of the line in Belgium or Holland and as such he may have considered himself part of the Operation. A bit of a stretch!!!!

Just re-read tha article again and it says he was 'attached to the 51st'. Perhaps what he says was correct if he was part of an Medical, RASC, Engineer etc unit.

Just to clarify the criteria for the Defence Medal:

Awarded to service personnel for 3 years service at home, one years service in a non-operational area (eg India) or six months service overseas in territories subjected to air attack or closely threatened.

I always get confused by the defence medal some people get it others don't , now we know why :thumbsup: