German Railway Clamshell Bayonet

welshhunter

Does anyone know anything about these?I cannot find any records anywhere in my reference books and as I have been offered one I thought I would check.It looks nice but is not cheap!

Hi Welshhunter, welcome to the forum :)

I've seen Railway daggers but must admit never a clamshell bayonet , as far as I know the Railways just used ordinary K98 bayonets, have you a picture of it?

it would not be cheap but the prices on these things are all over the place. Thing is they are all private purchase.

Wiemar Police were the common place to find clamshell bayonets. However, it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to find a few one off private purchases of clamshell bayonets in the railway or elsewhere.

Any maker stamp on it? Make sure it does, else I would be dubious. Also, how do they know it is railway and not police?

it would not be cheap but the prices on these things are all over the place. Thing is they are all private purchase.

Wiemar Police were the common place to find clamshell bayonets. However, it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to find a few one off private purchases of clamshell bayonets in the railway or elsewhere.

Any maker stamp on it? Make sure it does, else I would be dubious. Also, how do they know it is railway and not police?

It definately is not the "normal" police clamshells as I have examples of both the Weimar and Nazi ones in my collection.The clamshell in question has the railway insignia instead of the usual weimar eagle.I will be seeing it again on sunday and will get photos.Many thanks.Tony