medal

marcomark

hi guys ive picked up these medals from a house clearance could i have your opinion on them please (fake,real) i enclose a picture of one the medals

post-569-1258193245_thumb.jpg

post-569-1258193339_thumb.jpg

post-569-1258193433_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Marco ,

welcome to the forum :)

always hard to tell from a photo , I've seen that retainer on some U boat badges and the pin on others but never the two together, although it looks like it could be OK are you near the shop? then we could check for sure. Always easier if the badges are maker marked then we know what sort of characteristics we should be looking for.

Kenny.

• Like 1

Hi there,i think it's a fake,sorry. It has an R.Karneth IAB style ? shaped crimped catch. But as far as i'm aware these were never used on U-boot awards & definately not with a hinge like that. Stewy

• Like 1

I have seen that style of catch on u boat badges but as Stewy says not with that type of hinge , I agree better pictures would help, the jury is still out on this one.

• Like 1

here's a similar retainer on a robert souval , not quite the same as yours, as Stewy says yours is more like an IAB retainer.Although the hinge is totally different again , this one is a real mystery .I will need to check my books on tuesday I know there is one very similar, but is it like the RS style or the IAB style? will check when I get back to work. Certainly not a text book example of a known maker anyway.

rs_uboat_95.jpg

• Like 1

Hi marcomark, If you don't know allready, its a German WW2 U-boat badge (Submarine)

But From extensive research, the front looks like the french made badge (they were made in Baqueville, Paris) and from the back it looks like the Early Hymmen made badge this leads me to believe that it may be a fake, But without looking at it for real i can't be certain. :thumbsup:

Regards RAF

• Like 1

Hi Guys I've been having a look and I've found a badge

This looks identical to me, what's your opinion?

Cheers and thankd for your attention.

• Like 1

Not only is the catch different but the hinge is too. Yours shows a more primitive hinge that's seen on fakes,it lacks shape & detail. Sorry,Stewy

• Like 1