Cleaning Edged Weapons

collect23

Members;I am new to this great forum,but not to edged weapon cleaning.We all know of the horror stories of caustic cleaners being used on beautiful blades and destoying them!There is a product called "SIMICHROME"which is produced in Germany.I assume their are dealers that sell it in Scotland or the UK.This is the finest product that in 39 years of collecting that i use without any negative results.It can be used on any Daggers,Knives,Bayonets,Swords with great results.It cleans without taking off any metal on any blade.I also collect coins and i really get upset when someone has taken it apon themselves to use Brillo,Sos or some other horrorable stuff to destroy 100 years or more of a beautiful patina.Please before you use any cleaner make sure it is going to clean,not destroy. collect23

Personlly i just use a Very Very smooth Damp Cloth to clean them then a small fan to dry them (also wiping with cloth) this is not the best of ways But it works a treat with my Hitler youth knife and K98 Bayonets, but yes you have to be very carefull, my Mate had a rare German Hitler Youth Leaders knife that was genuine, He decided to clean it up a bit one day he used a so called knife cleaner and completely ruined the beautifull knife that was worth thousands! :o

RAF - water and a fan is a very poor idea, you want to use a non-invasive and non-harming oil based material. Water will only slowly degrade the blades over a very long time.

For myself I use Gun Barrel Grease, easy to obtain from shooting stores, a light coat will protect the blades for ages. As I am in Scotland it also is important to take into account higher moisture levels in the air from all the rain. Hence a heavy grease. If I was somewhere warmer a thin coat of WD40 would be just as fine.

Note, NEVER use WD40 or other invasive greases on any plated metals, nickle, chrome, etc. Only on straight steel, preferably non-blued.

RAF - water and a fan is a very poor idea, you want to use a non-invasive and non-harming oil based material. Water will only slowly degrade the blades over a very long time.

For myself I use Gun Barrel Grease, easy to obtain from shooting stores, a light coat will protect the blades for ages. As I am in Scotland it also is important to take into account higher moisture levels in the air from all the rain. Hence a heavy grease. If I was somewhere warmer a thin coat of WD40 would be just as fine.

Note, NEVER use WD40 or other invasive greases on any plated metals, nickle, chrome, etc. Only on straight steel, preferably non-blued.

really? :o used it years with no trouble, maybe i was lucky i wont try that again! thanks for the info greg :thumbsup:

rusting on the metal from light application of water will happen at a microscopic level, over time it will degrade the quality of the steel, cause pitting and blackening, create a brittle blade and potential create a rust over the blade that is light and like an orange dust... in short, when cleaning metal, keep away from water, use a proper cleaning agent, silica based is not so bad. Look at shooting shops for what is used on guns... ok Britain lacks a ton of shooting shops, but they are out there. Else you're only hurting your own investment!

rusting on the metal from light application of water will happen at a microscopic level, over time it will degrade the quality of the steel, cause pitting and blackening, create a brittle blade and potential create a rust over the blade that is light and like an orange dust... in short, when cleaning metal, keep away from water, use a proper cleaning agent, silica based is not so bad. Look at shooting shops for what is used on guns... ok Britain lacks a ton of shooting shops, but they are out there. Else you're only hurting your own investment!

OK you have now actually Scared me :unsure:

I'm going into town, theres a gun shop that I'll look in, what do you Recommend?

You can go down 2 routes, really depends on your preference.... so me I choose long term stabilization of my items to ensure no furthers corrosion or damage to them. However I collect Pre-WWII bayonets and the High Carbon content of the steel means they already have begun to pit and oxidize with sometimes gorgeous patinas which are never to be removed. Thus, I use Gun Grease. Many companies make this and I place a small amount on a clean rag or old sock and them lightly coat my blades in it. This ensures complete long term protection with limited need for care from me.

When I left the US and placed my considerable blade collection there in long term storage I coated everything in a medium coat of gun grease, 4 years later they are perfectly stable without even a hint of further rust or oxidation.

Another option is to purchase a silica impregnated cloth, you'll again get this from gun shops and is a good lighter user cloth when long term care and storage is no worry.

Note with either, don't touch blades with your bare fingers, the oil from your fingers will remain and long term can leave a fingermark... I have several pre-1900 blades with this issue from past people touching them. Remember you are often dealing with Carbon Steel, which is not the same as your Tesco Tableware you can toss in the dishwasher and clean with washing up liquid.

Leather scabbards are another issue... best advice... don't touch them just keep them stored sensibly.