the new elisabeth medal

LACKIE14

i understand that the cut off date is 1948 onwards, with over a possible 8,000 eligable, thats hell of a lot of young men even for 60yrs

OK guys you got me ? what's the new Elizabeth medal?

Agreed, but look at the conflicts.

Northern Ireland

Korea

South Arabia Communist Insurgency

South East Asia Communist Insurgency

Iraq - twice

Afghanistan

Sierra Leone

The Falklands

The list could go on.............

That's a great idea and well deserved , in fact the Canadians have been giving a similar medal out since WW1 , here's a picture, looks like they based the new medal on the Canadian version.

m21_gvir_memorial_cross.jpg

GenerateThumbnail.aspx.jpeg

perhaps if you compare the losses against other nations since 48, perhap that says more about the british armies training and discipline

in reply to kenny the medal really is striking, one perhap for future collectors, to near the bone at present.

I don't go along with that.

There are not many other nations who have taken part in as many conflicts as we have since 1948.

USA - Korea, Nam, Iraq & Afghanistan - Substantial losses in all conflicts

USSR - Afghanistan - Again pretty substantial losses

France - Indochina & various parts of Africa - Certainly substantial losses in Indochina

All in all we rank fairly well against that lot in training and discipline.

Other than that everyone else has pretty much stayed home.

8000, compared to russian and american losses since 48 for all those conflicts is amazing i agree.

i think the losses now are more about how they're reported, when you compare the numbers of losses of some of the ww2 battles.

p.s no way am i trying to demean the sacrifices these young people are making and i understand your point about all the conflicts i still think 8000 is high i think its because 8000 is a number that you can easily get your head round.

i just feel sorry these young guys anytime i see one of those reports.

One has to remember we have not had the capability either to commit large numbers of men and material,unlike the Americans or Russians..nor has it been our foreign policy for centuries to do so with the exception of the world wars.

What has always struck me is the way each successive Govt (throughout history) continues to penny pinch at the cost of lives.

We have been in Afghanistan since 2001 yet it is only last month that a mock Afghan village was built in England for training purposes. If we properly invested in the Forces perhaps we would not be debating why we are awarding 8000 of these new medals.