Third Reich Belt Buckle Manufacturing Types

Eddieq

As promised on a previous thread, I’ll post some different manufacturing examples of belt buckles. It won’t be exhaustive and will be more interesting to those that aren’t familiar with belt buckles- to others, I might be teaching you to suck eggs ! 

Anyway, here goes……..

First up is a Gustav Brehmer, painted steel combat buckle on a blue webbing tab. One piece construction with maker mark, and date correctly marked under the hinge post.

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3433.jpeg

• Like 5

Sticking with the combat buckle theme, a very salty Wehrmacht buckle, again, painted steel, one piece construction. This may not look the best but it has pride of place in my collection as it was given to me (on a leather) by a veteran who wore it for two and a half years on the Russian Front - no doubting this one!

IMG_3461.jpeg

IMG_3462.jpeg

• Like 5

One piece stamped brass SA buckle

IMG_3439.jpeg

IMG_3438.jpeg

• Like 5

One of the rarest buckles to find (that is original)

An Organisation Todt one piece steel belt buckle with a silver wash. One this example, nearly all the wash is missing from the front of the buckle but it is present on the back. Marked Org Todt under the hinge post- a rare beast, there are lots of copies around.

IMG_3448.jpeg

IMG_3449.jpeg

• Like 6

A one piece stamped DJ buckle. This buckle is brass and the field is nicked. It is unmarked but it is made by Wurster.

IMG_3450.jpeg

IMG_3451.jpeg

• Like 5

Another Wuster DJ - same construction but the ‘skinny rune’ version.

IMG_3454.jpeg

IMG_3455.jpeg

• Like 5

Another DJ buckle but this time it is a two piece construction, with the rune soldered on to a factory painted black field - vary hard to find

IMG_3446.jpeg

IMG_3447.jpeg

• Like 5

Two piece construction brass buckle with brass rounded - this time an NSBO buckle

IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3445.jpeg

• Like 5

Two piece construction buckle with a brass body/ field and a silvered rounded- this time an early DJ/HJ buckle. Smaller in size than a standard buckle.

IMG_3440.jpeg

IMG_3441.jpeg

• Like 5

A lightweight Aluminium two piece buckle (of similar construction to the heer belt from the other thread that prompted me to post these).

This is a State of Braunschweig Police, Feuerwehr or Landwehr buckle. Marked as wartime on the tab. Some of these were thought to be post war but a good number of these exist with dated tabs disproving this.

IMG_3457.jpeg

IMG_3458.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sticking with lightweight theme.

A one piece FAD buckle, marked correctly as Assman.

The FAD pre-dated the RAD.

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

• Like 5

One piece cast aluminium buckle

This is an NPEA buckle- only one manufacturer existed but there are two variants, distinguished by the location of the RZM logo. Again, these are faked extensively.

IMG_3434.jpeg

IMG_3435.jpeg

• Like 5

Two piece brass buckle with nickeled field and roundel.

NSKK buckle in this instance. Based on an SA buckle but all silver in colour. This example has the ‘sun wheel’ swaz.

IMG_3452.jpeg

IMG_3453.jpeg

• Like 5

Small ‘Turnerbund’ buckle- interesting furniture on the reverse - but totally period and original.

IMG_3459.jpeg

IMG_3460.jpeg

• Like 5

One piece nickel HJ buckle, nicely marked but had a tough life!

IMG_3463.jpeg

IMG_3464.jpeg

• Like 5

A series of walking out, and parade buckles from Red Cross, Scouts, Fire Defence etc. Most pre Third Reich (Reichsheer) but again a good way of learning about the construction of buckles - it didn’t really change much during the transition period.

IMG_3456.jpeg

• Like 5

As I come across other types of construction as I search through, i will post them- feel free to add examples of your own!

• Like 5

On 24/02/2024 at 13:02, Eddieq said:

A lightweight Aluminium two piece buckle (of similar construction to the heer belt from the other thread that prompted me to post these).

This is a State of Braunschweig Police, Feuerwehr or Landwehr buckle. Marked as wartime on the tab. Some of these were thought to be post war but a good number of these exist with dated tabs disproving this.

IMG_3457.jpeg

IMG_3458.jpeg

Not Landwehr! There were no Landwehr buckles

• Like 4