German Ribbon attachments

Greg

Really stupid question, but since I am not a medal collector, just am wondering...

With German medals, particularly, WWI and WWII, how are they attached to the Uniforms? American medals come with a small brass pin mounted to the back. But in looking at German medals they seem to be missing this, and I've seen several different ways to display the ribbon, is this because the medals require a mounting bar dependent upon how many medals a soldier has mounted? (I think the Brits do this, yes?)

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

The German army tended to wear badges rather than medals , however when a medal was awarded at the ceremony it would be put through the button hole.Later when wearing the medal in the field only the ribbon would be worn again through the button hole but minus the decoration.

When the soldier was on parade the medals would be court mounted onto a bar similar to the British style.

photo.jpg

I have seen some weird and wonderful ways of mounting both British ribbons and medals.

My favourite was a WWI Pair to a chap who used the wooden stick from an Ice Lolly and a safety pin. Sadly I moved that group on. In general, how they were mounted really depended on how you could afford to mount them.

G

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of the reasons why I started collecting German medals was because they wore their combat medals with them in action. Many other countries did not. The Germans wore their ek1s, knights, Iab, pab, wound badges, campaign shiels, close comb clasps, ga and others into combat. Yes and some ribbon bars. Why did other countries not do this? Show us some pictures of what I am talking about.

don

• Like 1

All that stuff getting snagged on items in the field when you are crawling about is a major reason a lot of countries don't wear them in the field.

• Like 1

Maybe one reason why german medals go for the bucks...Wore in combat....Even if they got snagged.

;);)

don

• Like 1

The Soviets wore combat badges too but not really to the same extent.

The Badges were good for morale but also made the wearers prime targets for snipers etc.

400px_Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I_089_3779_07__Russland__Feldwebel_mit_Orden.jpg

Soviet medals and badges being worn in combat

Cobra.jpg