Mle 1914 Hotchkiss Magazine Carrier

Gildwiller1918

WW1 Equipment for machine guns can be hard to find, depending on the gun in question. The French Model 1914 Hotchkiss is one of those weapons in which accessories are hard to come by, at least where I am at. I found and purchased this magazine carrier, which I have not seen one for sale in years. It is in very good condition with its original leather handles and a field repair to one side. These were originally painted a grey color, similar to artillery pieces of the time, as well as horizon blue, later in WW1 they were painted a drab khaki color. I have read that sometimes the original blue or grey paint can be seen under the khaki paint. 

This carrier held 12 magazine strips, holding 24 cartridges each, for a total of 288 cartridges, which is marked on the case, it also shows a diagram of how the strips should be inserted into the carrier as well. Like most of these types of carriers, the wood inserts were missing, so I have made replacements to complete it. Overall, a neat piece of kit. Just need the gun itself now. 

IMG_7091.JPG

IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_7103.JPG

IMG_7104.JPG

IMG_7105.JPG

IMG_7100.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

• Like 3

Some background information.

https://smallarmsreview.com/french-feed-devices-and-strip-loader-for-hotchkiss-model-1914-machine-guns/

You see these French strips at gun shows and Liberty for $10-35 each. Due to age not a round fires due to dead primers. 

That is a very nice box- never saw one at a show in WI. Plenty of ammunition strips , but never the box. Outstanding item!

• Like 3

Thanks for the info/link, very informative. Yes, I have also seen many of the strips. I picked up around 30 or so about 4 years ago for $1 each, I grabbed them all up! 

• Like 2