WW1 Grouping

Gildwiller1918

Got this small grouping recently, was at a great price, so was hard to pass up. Boxed medals for Private C.H. Parsons, Wiltshire Regiment. The medals and ribbons have not been used. Also included was a Wilts cap badge and a shoulder tab. 

IMG_20231115_183457001.jpg

IMG_20231115_183505036.jpg

IMG_20231115_183515619.jpg

IMG_20231115_183551349.jpg

• Like 5

I did check with the National Archives, Pvt. Parsons was indeed awarded both of these medals, still looking to find out more information on his service. 

IMG_20231115_185419604.jpg

• Like 5

Leon is the man to advise you on this. Further possibilities are the pensions records, service records, prisoner of war records, etc.

• Like 4

Very nice set of medals, I use Ancestry to find a soldiers documents you can join on a free months trail, You can find a lot of info

in a month. There are other sites like ( Find my Past ) or you could try the Wiltshire Regiments own history site.

• Like 5

I just had a quick look on ancestry they do hold the service records for Charles Henry Parsons No 22367 Duke of Edinburgh's Wiltshire Regiment

But I can't access them as I'm not a member at the moment.

Also this site www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research/war-diaries ) covers the battalion war diaries of the Wilts Regiments.

• Like 5

Thank you Leon, I appreciate you posts. I will have to do more research.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Iv'e done some research for you Gildwiller.

Charles Henry Parsons born 29 Nov 1882 in Redlynch Wiltshire, Parents John and Sarah  Parsons. In 1901 employed as a Footman

for the Barry Family of Stowell Park Wilcot Wiltshire, Enlisted on the 4 Nov 1915 in the 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

he was sent to Hove near Brighton for training, later sent to France. He was later given a Class Z rating on 2nd Jun 1919 and later discharged

to the Home Service Reserve.

In July 1931 he married Florence I Handford Born 6 April 1900 at the age of 48 she was 31 and a domestic servant, they had a son Edward K

born 29 May 1932. In the 1939 census they were living in the City of Salisbury, as far as I can tell Charles died in 1964 aged 82.

Below are some documents for him.

img779.jpg

img780.jpg

img781.jpg

img782.jpg

img783.jpg

img784.jpg

img785.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you Leon, I appreciate it. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Ancestry - 50 pounds just to join, it used to be a service offered by the state for a small sum.

• Like 3

Don't know were you got that from, you can join on a free month and cancel at the end if you don't like it.

If you carry on it would cost around £14 a month Iv'e just started a deal for 4 months at £5 a month a bargain.

• Like 3

I heard something different from a mail I got from them "special limited offer"
Maybe ok when you use it regularly, but not if you only use it for one or two names.

• Like 2

Yes I see your point, I only use it on and off then wait for them to offer a good deal.

• Like 2