Fusil Modèle 1874 Gras

Here is the Fusil Modèle 1874 also called the Gras. This was the main service rifle for the French up until the Lebel was released in 1886. This rifle was an improvement on the previous Chassepot rifle in which metallic cartridges were used along with some other modifications. This rifle also used a M1874 bayonet (images below show the Chassepot bayonet), although the rifle could fit both models. The Gras was upgraded in 1880 and again in 1914 to accept the Lebel smokeless cartridges, although this particular rifle never received the 80 or 14 modifications. As with most European rifles, it saw extensive service in at least 20 other nations over the years with 2.5 million being produced. 

This rifle is the standard infantry length rifle at 52 inches. It is chambered in the 11x59mmR Gras and weighed in at 9.3 pounds, although it does not feel that heavy. I will show more images after I do some restoration.

IMG_6976.JPG

IMG_6975.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

IMG_6971.JPG

IMG_6972.JPG

IMG_6970.JPG

IMG_6969.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

A nice video on the old boy.  Original Cartridges are as collectable as the rifle, but much less expensive.🤨

• Like 3

A Gras original cartridge in my collection, the paper worn away around the neck seat:

image.thumb.jpeg.44fcfc9941b292f3d12a15f872f40ce6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.20ece6f4a187b5aec9fe8cbc0c00cd9f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.da6e3f84bb73eb81fe8d5d331ab97cbb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f1095ebca84b6c8317451012ac3f4a7.jpeg

image.png.5b06dad6fb8eb8e9fdcb9c4123772b6b.png

• Like 3

The French Gras bayonet is a work of art. 

image.thumb.png.69d06dfda89471abc81d3308b9f4e973.png

This bayonet was the last of the French "sword-type" bayonets. It was manufactured to fit the French Model 1874 "Gras" Infantry Rifle, basically a refinement of the Model 1866 Chassepot Infantry Rifle. The "Gras" was manufactured from 1874 to about 1885. 

This bayonet has a solid brass pommel with integral latching mechanism (push-button/spring-steel). Grips are wood. Crossguard is steel, usually "blued," with upper guard being the muzzle-ring, lower guard forming a hooked "blade-breaker" quillon.
Blades are steel - well made - and triangular (3-edge) in form (very sturdy as a thrusting weapon). The blades are usually marked on the back-edge (opposite the bottom cutting edge) with the arsenal, month, and year of manufacture; this is done in engraved cursive fashion and will appear something like, "Mre d' Armes de St. Etienne Janvier 1874" or perhaps "Mre d' Armes de Chatellerault Juin 1882". Contrary to novice speculation, this is not the name of a lieutenant or major, nor is it a presentation date; in reality - as previously stated - it is the the exact month, year, and location of manufacture.
French arsenal locations I have observed are: Chatellerault, L'Deny Paris, Paris-Oudry, St. Etienne, and Tulle. There is also an arsenal located in Austria and these are marked Steyr.
The scabbards are usually blued sheet-rolled steel, semi-oval, tubular, with a ball finial. 

These bayonets replaced the Model 1866 "Chassepot" bayonet (and corresponding infantry rifle), and were replaced by the French Model 1886 Lebel Bayonet (aka "Rosalie") (and corresponding infantry rifle). 

Several other countries used this bayonet, including Greece (these are marked "Waffenfabrik Steyr" or "Usine de Steyr"), Germany (many modified variants), Ireland, and others; Portugal also used a variant for their Portuguese Kropatschek Navy Rifle, but their bayonet has a straight back-edge on the grip (no hump). 

The French Model 1874 "Gras" Bayonet has a colorful history was used by the French Foreign Legion on more than one occasion.

Source   http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/fren1874.htm

In the U.S there are so many bayonets and so few rifles...

Nice rifle, I see no Ethopian markings on the barrel. How is the bore?  Did you pay the select to get a sure thing rear sight?  I  Love that wood patina!

• Like 3

The bore is pretty good surprisingly, and I did not have to pay extra for the rear sight, just the luck of the draw. It is almost all matching, just a few parts have been replaced. I did get a replacement stock, it is an original, but better condition. 

• Like 2

Here is the rifle cleaned up, it has a lot of dirt and grime built up. The rifle has the correct bayonet as well. This one had a new barrel added in 1878 but was arsenal matched with identical serial numbers. The cleaning rod is also matched to the rifle which is usually hard to come by as well. Overall, a pretty decent condition surplus rifle in the original 1874 configuration without future modifications. Now just have to find a decent Chassepot. 

IMG_6985.JPG

IMG_6986.JPG

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_6990.JPG

IMG_6992.JPG

IMG_6991.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Most of the roundel is worn off, but the plug is still present, along with other stamps in the stock. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did manage to find some period Gras ammunition, but it's hard to find and expensive. 

• Like 3

What was the value if I may ask. 

I was at a show last week with 1889 original French cartridges with paper around the bullet intact, but the dealer wanted $25 per cartridge. Refused $10 for one.  

• Like 3

Mine were $20, and I got 5 total. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here are the rounds I got; they are all marked S.F.M. for Societe Francaise de Munitions, below this stamp are 2 intertwined G's for Gevelot & Gaupilat which was the previous company name before SFM.

IMG_7032.JPG

IMG_7035.JPG

IMG_7034.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The one I saw had this French headstamp shown below, but it was dated 1889 if I remember correctly. I guess if she will go down to $20 I may pick it up. 

image.jpeg.2d4dcbefcd13cff2e1d066868a46d7ec.jpeg

• Like 4

The Gras ammo is getting hard to find, most likely due the recent surplus arms coming into the country.

• Like 3