170th Tunneling Coy. Royal Engineers, Hohenzollern Redoubt.

WW1 War Office sponsored film footage of the 170th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers, tunnelling, laying charges, priming & setting mines below the Hohenzollern Sector, May 1916. Thought to be compiled from genuine action shots cut with dramatised bits and bobs to create a narrative.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060022712

• Like 4

I've got to admit to a bit of self-interest in the film 😁 Historian, Simon Jones, author of "Underground Warfare 1914-1918", identifies the 2nd Lieut who's testing, connecting and finally firing a mine as 2nd Lieutenant Tom Brown, 170th Tunnelling Coy RE.

A short time ago I bought a small, mixed lot of split WW1 campaign medals from Ebay, one named to a "MAJOR T. BROWN". I'm not totally sure but I "think" Major T. Brown is the one and same guy as in the film (Lieut T. Brown, OBE, MC, French Croix de Guerre, ended his war as a Major in command of 250th Tunnelling Company & I think it's a unique rank/initial/surname combination for a War & Victory Medal issue.

If so, amazing. To find a photo of a guy who's WW1 medal you have is just great, to find contemporary film footage is something else, totally chuffed (until I find out it's not a unique rank/name for a victory medal then I'll ask Kenny to delete this thread to save my embarrassment 😂).

FUK28d9XsAYxqwk.png

IMG_5126.jpeg

IMG_5127.jpeg

• Like 4

Tom Brown, 2/Lieut with the Welsh Horse Yeomanry, seconded 15th September, 1915, into 170th Tunnelling Coy R.E.

Awarded Military Cross, announced London gazette, 15 April, 1916.

Mentioned in Dispatches twice, first as acting Captain, second as acting Major, London Gazette, 11th December 1917 & 20th December, 1918.

French Croix de Guerre, London Gazette, 18th April, 1918.

Awarded OBE (military Division) New Year Honours List, 1 January, 1919, "For valuable services rendered in connection with military operations in France & Flanders."

Emergency Commission into Royal Engineers as 2/ Lieut during WW2, finished WW2 with Honorary rank of Major.

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 19.43.34.png

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 22.32.30.png

• Like 3

Tom Brown was promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to Temporary Captain "while commanding a section of a Tunnelling Company from 16th April, 1916" (London Gazette dated 11/11/1916), so although in the May 1916 film, Tom is still wearing his 2/Lieut cuff insignia (single pips removed from shoulder boards), he was actually a Captain commanding a section when the film was shot.

P.S. Tom Brown's Medal Index Card lists his final wartime rank as "Major, 140th Tunnelling Coy. R.E.", that was a mistake on his MIC, Brown was promoted Major when transferred as Officer in Command, 250th Tunnelling Coy. 31st, March, 1918.

• Like 3

From the same London Gazette Supplement as Tom Brown's Military Cross citation, matching citations for the Distinguished Conduct Medals awarded to 86208 Sapper J. Connolly and 86350 L/C D.E. Lewis, both 170th Tunnelling Coy. I guess the two sappers mentioned as accompanying Tom Brown into the German trenches and destroying the mine galleries and entrances.

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 11.20.58.png

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 11.21.27.png

• Like 3