WW2 iron cross 2nd class real?

RobRoy

Hi, 

I have managed to get hold of 2 iron crosses, second class, medals, and I think they look pretty neat, and I have even been guaranteed that they are 100% real, so I think they should be okay. What do you guys think? 

The first cross is marked 25, and the other one is unmarked. However, the unmarked one has a small 'weird' marking symbol, which I cannot identify what is. Maybe some of you can see what the small symbol means? (see the image). The medals’ cores are magnetic.

Thanks in advance. 🙂 

25 angled front.JPG25 angled front

25 back.JPG25 back

25 Edge 1.JPG25 Edge 1

25 edge 2.JPG25 edge 2

25 front 2.JPG25 front 2

25 Front anglede 2.JPG25 Front anglede 2

25 Front.JPG25 Front

25 Ring.JPG25 Ring

Unmarked angled front.JPGUnmarked angled front

Unmarked back (2).JPGUnmarked back (2)

Unmarked back.JPGUnmarked back

Unmarked edge.JPGUnmarked edge

Unmarked front 2.JPGUnmarked front 2

Unmarked front.JPGUnmarked front

Unmarked weird symbol.JPGUnmarked weird symbol

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Paulchen, thanks for some quick and informative messages, nice to know as much as possible about these newly acquired medals.  

If anyone has any comments about the validity of these medals, I am still all ears, so far it seems that the assumption of them being real still holds. 

Then onto another funny thing. The 'unmarked medal' as displayed above, which Paulchen has stated must be a number '4' made by Steinhauer & Lück, seems to have the '4' is mirrored! I have tried to take some close-ups of the two medals' marking (25 and '4'), just so show how small and unclear the '4' actually is. Also if I compare the '4' (on the top 2 images below) to an image found online  (bottom image) then it seems like the '4' on my medal is mirrored? Has anyone seen anything similar before? To me it seems a bit 'dangerous' that this is mirrored (fake medal?), but I am not sure if this has been seen before. 

Bothringscloseup1.thumb.JPG.fa9873d9c6f4cebb792a72c310fe4c39.JPGClose up of the two medalsClose up of 25 and '4'Close up of the two medalsReal4.JPG.285412e9de613aea487f4a1e6315e2a3.JPGBorrowed image

I hope anyone has some thoughts on this topic. Have a nice day!

Best regards. 

• Like 3

If you rotate it 90 degrees it still looks like a 4 however any I have seen are in a square box rather than a round box, certainly unusual perhaps just badly stamped.      

rotate.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kenny, 

Wauw, it did not occur to me to just rotate it 90 degrees, it definitely looks more sharp orientated like this. However, since it is not in a square box, should I be worried that something is wrong? Or is bad stamping a common thing? 

Best regards.   

• Like 3

Bad stamping did happen, especially when the dies were getting worn out.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1