1924 Belgian .410 folding poacher shotgun question

72 usmc

I have a friend that just stumbled onto a sort of special polished steel, richly hand engraved, British poacher folding .410 with a steel skeleton stock. This shotgun is very unlike the more common solid wood stock or skeleton wood stock models with case hardened receivers or non case hardened receivers lacking engraving.   The most often encountered styles are shown below:

image.jpeg.cf494073d1afcf5c28f5991674a067c6.jpeg

This is the style I am looking at. 

image.png.a3c45988ede0024bafe5d34d6ff7bdb6.pngIt has the Belgian (Liege) proof marks and is chambered for smokeless powder, 2 inch Eley cartridges.  The iron skeleton stock is also engraved and the gun has serial number 22. The single shot barrel is hex near the chamber and then converts to a oval barrel with a chrome sight, (Not a brass sight like found on the wood stock rifles). Barrel length is 21 inches (53 cm.).  Have any British members ever seen such a small poacher folding shotgun that is this well engraved. It is not blued.  I have not seen these in the U. S. Any reference information or history about such a shot gun is requested.  These small firearms were popular in England around the 1880s to the 1950s.  This must have been a special order, fairly expensive, wood cased firearm??

Does anyone have knowledge about this type of .410 folding shotgun?  These are a few photos of the firearm in question image.jpeg.2dd17786029935dceebe4dec41280c4f.jpegimage.jpeg.664d1f52f474522dba5022d86ac6a1a7.jpegimage.png.73b0521f62eb286759d0ee6d455c9e62.png

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Correction made.  Thank you

• Like 4