WW2 Aviation Photos

Fritz

Battle of Britain period

image.thumb.png.a70258ceda474be4aeb278d2d0fd49f6.png

image.thumb.png.d1053c54e16752fc7046cc761ace3173.png

image.thumb.png.4ad648911fdbd413b69a0b51a190b819.png

image.thumb.png.5ad35fd1fe77a1af98a3222f7bbc7242.png

28th August 1940, the 7th Staffel of Jagdgeschwader 51 were on a free-lance patrol over Dover when at 16,000 feet they were attacked by Hurricanes of No.56 Squadron.

Oberfw. Artur Dau (seen here taking a drink), flying Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4, Werke No.1523 and coded 14+ was shot down at 16.55 hrs by Sgt. George Smythe of No.56 Squadron, forcing Dau to bale out. He was captured unhurt near Hougham. His Messerschmitt Bf 109E dived into the ground on fire at Garden Wood, Poulton Farm, South Alkham.

Seconds later Sgt. George Smythe's Hurricane Serial No.N2523, was hit by another Messerschmitt Bf 109E, possibly Artur Dau's wingman, forcing him inturn to bale out. His Hurricane crashed into Ladwood, Ladwood Farm, Acrise.

Sgt. George Smythe wrote in his Combat Report:

'I was Green 2 when we were ordered to engage a fighter formation at 20,000 ft between Dover and Folkestone. I selected two Me109s and got on their tails. They were gradually pulling away from me after having dived on me.'

'I fired several long bursts at ranges between 300 and 400 yards. I was then attacked from the rear by another Me109. I fired a final burst at the E/1 to port and broke away. As I was breaking away a cannon or large bore bullet passed through the hood over my head, through my windscreen, the armour plated cowling on the gravity tank and the petrol tank itself. I was immediately drenched with petrol and was obliged to bale out and landed two miles from Hawkinge. On arriving at Hawkinge I was informed by the Duty Pilot that the pilot of the E/A I attacked baled out as well and landed in the vicinity of the aerodrome.'

'I received a few scratches on my face from the glass from the windscreen.'

These famous photographs were taken of the capture of Oberfw. Artur Dau and shown as a set of propaganda photographs depicting the welcome given to captured Luftwaffe pilots. It shows Artur being offered a cigarette and some whisky before being marched off into captivity.

Both the Messerschmitt Bf 109E and Hurricane crash-sites have been excavated by members of the Museum and both aircraft and airmen are commemorated in the Museum in displays of artefacts recovered from their respective crash-sites.

We were in contact with Artur Dau in the 1970s and early 1980s and photographs donated by him of his time training in Germany and later in Occupied France accompany his display in the Operation Block.

(Kent Battle of Britain Museum)

image.png.811ff1c6dedd75f30c3ffdf5ee9cdb1d.png

Churchill is seen in this photograph walking away from the crash-site of Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4, Werke No. 0941 of Stab 1/JG 3 which was shot down at 4.25pm on Wednesday 28th August 1940, eighty-two years ago today.

It was probably shot down by Sgt. Hamlyn of No.610 Squadron and Flt/Lt. Weaver of No.56 Squadron in combat over Dover. The pilot, Leutnant Landry, baled out and was captured severely wounded. He succumb to his wounds on 23rd September 1940. His aircraft crashed on Church Farm, Church Whitfield.

Items taken at the time, together with items excavated from the crash-site of Lt. Landry's Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4, can be seen on show in the Operation Block at the Kent Battle of Britain Museum Trust at Hawkinge.

Winston Churchill visited the burning remains of the enemy fighter and asked: 'Is he one of their lads?'. On being told that he was, Winston Churchill is reputed to have replied: 'Good! That's another on the long list.'

image.png

• Like 5