Portrait Hitler and Mussolini

VBarrera

Hello everyone, I am from Mexico, my family collaborated in espionage activities in the 40's, among my great-grandfather's things this painting was found, it is a very large painting of almost 1.80 meters x 1.20 meters, unfortunately my great-grandfather was very Hermetic with these topics, so there is very little information about its objects, according to my grandfather's memories, the painting arrived in Mexico after the war, just when the denazification "entnazifizierung" began in Europe, according to story "somebody" asked him to take care of the painting so that it would not be destroyed, his father removed the frame and covered it with a sheet, the painting was kept in a basement in Tampico Tamaulipas for more than 40 years, some time later we moved it to a warehouse in Mexico City.

There is very little information on the internet about the German artists of that time, I would like to know your point of view and know if anyone has more information about this painting. Thank you.

40d8d385-a7e5-41bd-bcc2-4024f4e3f22a.jpg

e7ecfb46-8404-4806-9e43-1168691cabb6.jpg

0452a9b7-08a2-45d6-80a0-36edbff71641.jpg

15f7d13b-9962-4626-b966-7be210bf2817.jpg

cbfc6779-e46b-44d1-b999-3f71439d6ad7.jpg

• Like 3

not familiar with the artist but it is a nice painting  

• Like 4

If this is actually a B. Von Jacobs painting then it is worth significant money. I like the signature, but if you look at the artists other paintings they are more lifelike. I’m not saying it’s not correct but look at the likeness in the artists others paintings- I can post if you can’t find them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

yes could be a copy of an original Jacobs painting, if you could post some of his other paintings Eddie we can compare. 

• Like 3

Jacobs did a number of portraits, particularly a number of the cigarette cards and book illustrations. See some attached. The photos aren’t originals but are prints etc.

BBA42538-F8B6-409D-9BD1-6E42090404D6.jpeg

3EFFBA5E-BCF7-4E72-8219-EC09547872F4.jpeg

D5D4077D-AB16-437D-8E4C-ECAA375355E1.jpeg

• Like 4

Interesting Eddie, I did not realise it was Jacobs who painted these famous pictures. On seeing these I would say the first painting was not in the style of Jacobs, however it could still be another artist named Jacobs or just a post war copy, very hard to say. The figures do look more South American in style than European.    

• Like 4

Hi Kenny, if you scroll in on the pictures I posted, the signature is virtually identical- but as you say, there is a marked difference in the style of the portraits. I would say you would need someone versed in art identification and you would probably have to compare originals - difficult, because as you say, most of Jacobs other work is very famous and probably in museum collections.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Eddie, yes the signature is the exact same so either painted by Jacobs which I think unlikely because of the different style or some artist has just copied it which I think is more likely, could have been done some time ago maybe even the 30's or 40's   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello group, thanks for your comments and contributions, I share the updates, a friend who sells art put me in contact with a gallery in Austria, I am in contact with them and through photographs they are helping me to understand and know the possible origin of the painting . I was told that the painting is called ZWEI VOLKSFÜHRER and was made in homage to Mussolini's visit to Berlin. They told me that the image was very popular at the time and many artists made their versions of the meeting. The main work was in the Reich Chancellery, unfortunately the gallery owner does not know if it survived or was destroyed.

My painting has a stamp on the back that helped to suppose that the painting was one of the versions used as propaganda in some office. Regarding Jacobs's signature, he told me that it is difficult to determine without verifying it in person, he also told me that unfortunately, although the artist has a couple of well-known works, his works and techniques are not documented. She promised to try to find more of the artist's work.

image.jpeg

Captura.PNG

benito-mussolini-y-d9kk2b.jpg

7177ATDqTzL.jpg

images.jpg

benito-mussolini-1883-1945-.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent  VBarrera, please keep us updated 

• Like 3