Dating the Albrechts-Orden of the Kingdom of Saxony.

Hello

I am trying to understand the difference between the Albrechts-Orden from WW1 and the earlier variant. The first two pictures show my medals which I believe are from WW1. On the white background is a third medal which is described as "Eine typische Fertigung aus dem 1. Weltkrieg" (typical production from WW1). But is it or is it an earlier version.

Thank you.

AO1.jpg

AO2.jpg

medal_edited-1.jpg

• Like 5

I would say this is a typical WW1 production. The pre-war examples were usually silver, gold gilded, after 1915 when gold etc. became scarcer and more costly, this was changed to gilded silver. Pre-war examples without swords were usually gold, those with swords often silver. Known makers are mainly Scharffenberg, Glaser and Rösner. My examples, last picture, the older version:

100_5139.JPG

100_5141.JPG

Albrechtsorden Grosskreuz / Komturkreuz 1. Form

• Like 4

Thanks Fritz. In the older version it looks as though the head has no neck and sits straight on the shoulders. Is that correct? 

• Like 4

correct.

• Like 3

Hi James welcome to the forum, please try to avoid linking to commercial websites and watermarks :thumbsup:   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kenny Andrew said:

Hi James welcome to the forum, please try to avoid linking to commercial websites and watermarks :thumbsup:   

Understood. Thanks for the guidance

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fritz said:

correct.

Thanks Fritz - I now understand the difference. Very good learning. Now I know what to look for. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I think this is a correct 1st (older) variant of the Albrechts-Orden.  The lettering on the front looks a bit rough.

Albert f.png

Albert r.png

• Like 3

Looks very crude in manufacture, in prinicipal is the head the older version. The cross seems to be real gold. Any maker mark?

• Like 3

Another point of interest is the so-called "französische Schwerter" (French swords), some makers have the other variant the "deutsche Schwerter", as in your photo.
It could be a so-called Zweitfertigung or copy made on order of the recipient by a jeweller, this was not uncommon and such copies were made of all sorts of decorations, mainly for wearing on the "Ordensschnalle". You can find a lot of good information on the internet, there may be also some good publications.

• Like 3