Question about three color decals on relic German helmet

Jan

Hello everyone. I need your help for identifying the originality of these decals. I read some articles and there were saying about the shape of the bottom of decal and the position. For my eyes these looked okay 

but the obvious condition of the helmet and clear decal next to pitting helmet made me suspicious. Can you understand   It’s  its fake or not from these photos?  Thank you. 

D6D42671-3D15-43A6-A7FB-A5D6AB5965A6.jpeg

00D15468-1379-4160-9A79-7654446E7A5B.jpeg

A0BB4342-C202-4CCD-B503-6C5BB549157B.jpeg

• Like 5

The position looks to be in the right place, however as rusted as this helmet is, it makes me almost suspect the decals might be fake. Hard to say based upon the photos. It almost looks like from the paint remains that it had a camo appearance. I see greens and browns, if this was an early helmet it should be a pea green color, typically after 1942 most helmets that were made came without decals, omitting the Luftwaffe, SS and other political units. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

An M.40 helmet. I would think the decals could be original. Many helmets which have been buried for such a long time are heavily rusted, but somehow when the decals were intact when the helmet was buried, they tend to last longer than many other areas of finish, see also the paintwork around the decal area. The total value in this condition would not be very high, but interesting because of the decals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for the answer. Yes condition of the helmet not good. I always thought decal lasts less than paint. That’s why it made me suspicious. 

as I see the guy cleaned the rust as he can but I think Ballistol oil can improve the look little more. But of course there is nothing to do for the pittings. I used oil on another helmet and it really did improve the look.

1855FBED-1B4B-4BD0-8D52-9BCB62EFA3D9.jpeg

• Like 5

There are certain methods of cleaning restoring heavily corroded helmets etc. Ballistol alone will not do it. Best to look around for information on restoring, before doing anything yourself. If in doubt, don't attempt a restoration, till you get adequate information and experience, or leave it to an expert. I don't know these methods myself, but I have heard of good results from various sources. There may be some information on youtube, but caution, not all information is good.  Decals are not indestructable, they have usually become worn out, damaged either through service wear, or later of bad handling and storage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 09/09/2021 at 13:09, Fritz said:

There are certain methods of cleaning restoring heavily corroded helmets etc. Ballistol alone will not do it. Best to look around for information on restoring, before doing anything yourself. If in doubt, don't attempt a restoration, till you get adequate information and experience, or leave it to an expert. I don't know these methods myself, but I have heard of good results from various sources. There may be some information on youtube, but caution, not all information is good.  Decals are not indestructable, they have usually become worn out, damaged either through service wear, or later of bad handling and storage.

Yes I applied ballistol just for the darkening the brown rusty parts and avoid further rust as recommended to me by helmet collector. I applied whole to helmet since it does not harm the paint and metal. But it seems to me made the green color more clear 

• Like 5

Ballistol. It may enhance the colour somewhat.

• Like 5