Normandy bayonet find

noyes44

Hi everyone. I've only just joined the forum and have just put a posting in the gun section. As I aquired a K98k bayonet from Normandy recently I thought I'd look at this section. Very interesting. As can be seen from the photo's my bayonet is quite rusty due to it being in the ground for a number of years. Will the Rust Inhibiting Grease and Gun Grease get rid of the rust in the first place or just protect it from further rusting?

Cheers, Robin

post-236-1233589458_thumb.jpg

post-236-1233589480_thumb.jpg

post-236-1233589499_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The bayonet is a common condition for lesser grade bayonets.

Gun Grease will merely prevent further rust. You technically have pitting and oxidation and not rust, which is common for metals of this age and condition. It will be perfectly fine if kept in a non-humid, not too dry or not too wet atmosphere.

Ps.. your bayonet was made by Friedrich A. Herder und Sohn, Solingen

(S/240 F.HERDER A.Sn.)

In 1942.

• Like 1

As a battlefield find I feel as long as you stop further damage it's best to keep it as is with its history.

If you know where it was found you can have some idea of the unit to which it was issued. However parts of Normandy would have had men from many units in those confused months of battle.

• Like 1

Hi Robin,

I agree with Dave , the bayonet has been like that all these years and has it's own history ,adding a scabbard could detract from it plus scabbards on there own are pretty hard to find, lots of bayonets but finding scabbards on there own is a bit harder especially one that would be a good match for it ,however again it's personal choice. :)

• Like 1

The scabbard markings are common for 42ffc, and you also can get good repro ones out of china. If you 100% want a scabbard I can work magic, the BCN probably could find you one.

Note though many many bayonets have miss matched scabbards it is common. You will probably never find the original scabbard with the exact matching serial number (out of the millions of bayonets made, however I do know of at least 1 case where it has happened in the collecting community)

• Like 1

Thanks guys, you've talked me in to it, no scabbard and just some gun grease added to prevent further corrosion. I totally agree about the bayonet having it's own history. I must admit it's this that I find most attractive about collecting militaria, that each item has it's own history. If only they could talk.

Robin

• Like 1