Captured gun implacements

stewy

Hi people,here's a couple of pics. Any thoughts where the PAK40 could be? The Flak gun looks Med. Coastal Balkans,Italy,Greece or maybe Crimea :unsure: . Stewy

post-65-1226592812_thumb.jpg

post-65-1226592831_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

any chance to get a higher res scan of the Pak 40? If I can zoom in with a good scan to the buildings in the distance you can guestimate based upon architecture. France/Germany perhaps? It is well sighted that is for sure.

• Like 1

:lol:

great "after the battle " pics.

It could be my flu :wacko: but the PaK looks like a 88 PaK 43 or the French 7.5cm on the German carriage. My references are in my French house so can't check further.

The AA gun looks Japanese, so far east. It does not look like a German 3.7 cm. Maybe an Italian weapon? But of course it could be one of the myriad captured weapons they used for coastal defense.

• Like 1

:lol:

great "after the battle " pics.

It could be my flu :wacko: but the PaK looks like a 88 PaK 43 or the French 7.5cm on the German carriage. My references are in my French house so can't check further.

The AA gun looks Japanese, so far east. It does not look like a German 3.7 cm. Maybe an Italian weapon? But of course it could be one of the myriad captured weapons they used for coastal defense.

There's a good chance you're right about the flak. I thought Italian or Rumanian?. I've no idea on the PAK. Stewy

• Like 1

:kopkrab:

I am pretty sure that I can spot DUKW's in the water behind the AA. They were more common in Europe but I am sure they were used in the far east too. The beach "hooches" look more like USMC as army units moved off beaches pretty quick.

I have books in France that I am sure would ID both. I'll try to remember to check after I go across on the 12th dec. :plane:

• Like 1

:D;):P

Hi Stewy,

On looking at pics on the web I am pretty certain that the PaK is an 8.8cm PaK 43 from the wheels, trails and sheild. The breech has been blown off by a direct hit or an explosive charge to stop it falling into enemy hands. This was commonly done to towed guns that could not be removed.

Good position above the road, I have seen similar positions in Italy but this does not positively ID the country.

:snipersmilie:

Dave.

• Like 1

Did Napoleon not plant trees along the roads in lines so his troops could march in the shade? if so this could be France ? or is this common practice elsewhere too?

• Like 1

The AA does look Japanese but have you ever seen pine trees on pacific islands like that? Pin point the type of tree and where they grow and you have your answer.

The PAK my gut feeling is in France.

• Like 1

My gut feeling is France and Rhodes , if the gun is Italian then there were allot of Italian troops stationed in Rhodes.The shore line also looks similar as Rhodes has very few beaches.

• Like 1

How about Crete? There weren't many or any Italians there was there? Malta or Corsica? Rhodes' still my fav though. Stewy

• Like 1