Bofors L/70 40X70mm inert drill round

Bofors L/70 40X70mm inert drill round

Steel projectile and base pinned through the brass case with steel pins. Pin ends can be seen in the photo attached. The base pin can be seen through the primer hole. Tool marks show that the case was lathe turned, not solid drawn. There are traces of black paint on the projectile and base, perhaps dating from a previous owner but the brass has not been shined up for the mantlepiece. There is no headstamp and the primer pocket is just a hole - photo attached.

The projectile extends 25mm into the case and has been stepped so that it is flush with the case surface.

There are only a few longitudinal striations and little in the way of extractor marks on the rim to suggest this round has been chambered.

I find it a puzzle. Why such an elaborate five piece construction? It would have been quicker and cheaper to turn a practice round in one piece from steel rod, boring from the base to reduce its weight.

Militaria such as this appeals to me as it ties in with family history. My late father-in-law, a Royal Artillery L/Cpl weapons artificer, went to Normandy on one of the Mulberry caissons with his Bofors and was seasick for 19hours. Unfortunately he never saw this round or I might have got some information from him.

Any information would be welcome.

post-37708-0-33589000-1452785338_thumb.jpgpost-37708-0-77839100-1452785368_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It could be used at a different level of training more 'realistic' drill.

I have a US recoiless rifle inert training round. First it is HUGE but made to the exact same specification as a live round right down to weight. The centre is sand filled for weight and feeling of powder inside. It would be used for field exercise for the most realistic training.

• Like 3

Greg,

Many thanks. Most interesting. The dealer who sold it to me said they were sometimes filled with coal dust to make up the weight. Four of these in a clip would have been heavy to keep lifting into the gun's hopper. Mine weighs 4lbs 13 1/8oz., ( 2.187kgs).

• Like 3