what was the last tank germany made in ww2

Reece

Cheers Sven,

OK I'll tell you , it is not really that exciting but I found it quite interesting.

All British tanks after the Matilda started with the letter C ie Churchill, Centurion , Crusader, Comet, etc.

not really sure why they do it , but I hadn't noticed until someone pointed it out.

Not as exciting as Tiger, Panther , Elelphant etc but I suppose they had thought of it first as usual. :violent-smiley-090:

Awww and my answer to the riddle was going to be, 'All British Tanks are only meant to last till the American's show up to handle things :lol:

As long as they have plenty of petrol and amunition , how long was it last time they had to wait ? WW1 4 years , WW2 3 years , better late than never I suppose , only joking Greg :D:thumbsup: God Save America :tank:

Lend Lease was a fun thing :-)

Actually was going to ask if you have any of the small scale British North Africa M3 Grant/Lee Tanks in the shop. I think 21st Century puts them out in the Cold Steel line? M3 always fascinated me, there was no design, all they did was bold field guns to a chassis. :tank:

swapping parts of the Empire for some old battleships , boy I think our buddies saw us coming that day :D

I think I may have a few Greg will email you if I have anything :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

:violent-smiley-090:

Reece, suppose you ask because the British tanks looked similar. They went from Mark 1 to I think about Mark 8. Most were in two forms, machine gun armed "females" and 6 pounder armed "males". Later ones were designed to carry men and supplies. A light tank called the Whippet was also used.

The French had the Sneider and St. Chamond as well as the small but first modern production tank the FT 17. (also used by the Americans.)

The Germans only indiginous tank was the A7V more a house on tracks crewed by more than 20 men. They also used lots of captured British Mark IVs marked with large iron crosses.

A good website to start on would be the Bovington Tank Museum if you are interested.

:tank:

thanks, and wow a german tank that held 20 men.

also ive been doing some reaserch seems the armor on british tanks wasent very good :S , and one of my mates told me about a museum down in england that has tks and it has some ridiculosley large stupid ones

Probably Bovington Tank Museum as it has a lot of Prototypes including an early Kingtiger.

Well worth a visit and has a good website :tank:

Yes the A7V was a montrous beast. Sepp Dietrich served in one as a gunner I believe. :o

Kenny, another one for the K&C wishlist? :lol:

We will have WW1 tanks next year, they are not K+C but just as good, watch this space. :tank::tank::tank::tank::tank:

:lol: :lol: that would be a good sight :lol:

what about a division iof Landkreuzer P's :o:huh::lol::huh:

Cheers Sven,

OK I'll tell you , it is not really that exciting but I found it quite interesting.

All British tanks after the Matilda started with the letter C ie Churchill, Centurion , Crusader, Comet, etc.

not really sure why they do it , but I hadn't noticed until someone pointed it out.

Not as exciting as Tiger, Panther , Elelphant etc but I suppose they had thought of it first as usual. :violent-smiley-090:

hello was chatting to a friend about your question and he didnt know the answer until told him he is more into WW1m,during our chat about things he mentioned he may have read it some were that the C thing was in honour of Churchill he said this may be true or just a myth from the mist of war etc.But a idea cheers for now

:o;)

Reece,

Websites for A7V Note that the Munster one is an exact replica as Aberdeen Proving Ground had cut up theirs!

http://www.panzermuseum.com/german-army/panzer/a7v.html

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/peter_battle/a7v/

post-34-1228209229_thumb.jpg

Dave :tank:

I carried out an exhaustive study of A7V production numbers during my Masters degree... interesting tid bit, after trawling through German, British, American and Australian records and re-referencing every major academic historians accounts of A7Vs I can completely confirm... we honestly have no clue how many A7Vs ever were actually fielded as fully operational models.

:lol::D

That's probably because they blended in with the local houses!

The number was not large. I seem to remember an figure of between 20 to 30.

Can you confirm an estimate Greg? I suppose the German records were lost in WW2.

A7Vs Vormarsh (very slowly of course) :violent-smiley-090:

:lol::D

That's probably because they blended in with the local houses!

The number was not large. I seem to remember an figure of between 20 to 30.

Can you confirm an estimate Greg? I suppose the German records were lost in WW2.

A7Vs Vormarsh (very slowly of course) :violent-smiley-090:

My statistics are based purely on A7V numbers as it was the ONLY production tank of Germany during WWI. They did use some captured tanks though. My numbers are also based on the Spring 1918 Offensive numbers when 80+ Allied tanks were officially recorded:

Chickering, Imperial Germany, p. 179. Chickering places German tank numbers at 10; Hew Strachan states 20 A7V models were produced. Strachan, First World War, p. 304. The Queensland Museum, caretaker of the final surviving A7V in the world, Mephisto, claims at least 13 operational A7Vs in April 1918 at Amiens. ‘Sturmpanzerwagen A7V Mephisto’ Queensland Museum <http://www.qmuseum.qld.gov.au/features/mephisto/>[accessed 15 February 2006]. Nevertheless, German armor was heavily outnumbered by British and French units.

Chickering and Strachan are THE men to ask academically regarding WWI. I had the pleasure of Hew lecturing us so had some easier access to him. His research is carried out under a crown contract to produce an official WWI history at Oxford, All Souls and very meticulous. He speaks German fluently so also has very good access to German documents. I discount contemporary books (save the cited here) and try to reference based on captured numbers and unit operation reports listing tanks... and even the trusted documents are very dodgy.

:mellow:

So the number of about 20 as accurate as we can get.

As it is so low I am amazed that we do not have more model kits of the beast! After all Dragon kits of the "Dicker Max" and "Sturmer Emil" have been made of which there was only two and four respectively produced.

A7Vs were mass produced by comparison. :o

Lets face it, the A7V is a dull model, perhaps that is why there are less models of it. Yes it is the only german production tank of WWI but it is a cheese box with a few sticks glued to it for guns. In design and operation it was a total failure.

I think it is the appeal of TR rather than the vehicle. Sturmer Emil and Dicker Max are even less interesting! Simply a gun on tracks! They were also failures to better designs! <_<

However model companies have minds of their own on production. Bring on the British vehicles!

:thumbsup: