New collector

youvegotanthony

New to the medal collecting game after being gifted my first medal. I was wondering if anyone has any top tips or advice when looking to buy? Do you have a specific way of collecting? By regiment, era etc? Any advice would be welcomed.

Welcome to the forum Anthony, for me I try to stick to the WW2 era collecting both German and sometimes British items. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Welcome aboard,

1 study whatever subject you are interested in

2 Only buy from reputable dealers ie. the Treasure Bunker

3 If it looks too good to be true it normaly is

4 be patient a collection takes years to build

5 Enjoy the hobby for what it is.

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice guys. I think I have already made my first mistake as a newbie! I thought I was getting a good deal on an 'online auction site'. I have purchased a job lot including the Italy star, Burma star, British 39-45 star and the Africa star for £45. I have assurance that the medals are all original but I think they have modern ribbon. As a newbie I am presuming that the ribbon is often just as important as the medal? I am hoping to make my first visit to Treasure Bunker tomorrow to have a look around.

I am hoping to get some named medals and researched who they belonged to etc but I am aware that these can often cost a little more?

Thanks again for any tips!

• Like 1

Hi welcome to the forum Anthony, everyone here is very helpful, be careful of auctions as they can be a dumping ground for fakes, we will be happy to help in any way and all our items have a lifetime guarantee

Kenny :)

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

I myself do not collect allied medals, I mainly collect German Hitler Youth items. One thing I will say is avoid at all costs places like eBay for medals, it is a huge minefield that is impossible to cross, like everyone else says, stick with the reputable dealers and see the items for yourself if possible.

• Like 1

Hoping to manage into store tomorrow Kenny. A friend of mine recommended the store as he has build his whole third reich medal collection from treasure bunker and advises to go nowhere else!

• Like 1

Thanks to all the guys in the shop today, managed to pick up a couple of medals to add to my small collection. I will most definitely be back in the near future!

• Like 2