glue & scissors

jager 152

I guess this is as good a place as any.

I have been a modelmaker almost from growing milk teeth, all sorts, and have recently re-discovered card models. No we aren't talking about your old cut-out books either.

How about a Panzer IV with full interior detail, in about 400 pieces ? Poland produces a huge range, as do the German firms of Schrieber and Wilhelmshaven. The later make fantastic ships, (A Bismark over 3 feet long), and there are etched brass sets of rails etc., plus metal gun barrels).

One huge advantage, if you are none too handy with a brush, they are all printed in full colour, so you can sit in front of the telly and not risk applying involuntary camo effects on the carpet, all you need are good scissors, a scalpel, metal rule and PVA adhesive. You can start with a very simple motor boat, and move on to the Eiffel Tower !. (I'm just making a base for The Church of our Sacred Lady in Dresden, bit of a challenge. ) .

Incidentally they are surprisingly strong, particularly after a few coats of aerosol matt varnish.

:):):)

:D

Have seen these advertised. Look really well detailed. :P

Have you built one and how long do they take to complete?

I am interested in the armour. Is the scale accurate? I believe they are 1/24?

Dave. :rolleyes:

:D

Have seen these advertised. Look really well detailed. :P

Have you built one and how long do they take to complete?

I am interested in the armour. Is the scale accurate? I believe they are 1/24?

Dave. :rolleyes:

Yes, the Polish models are 1:25. Best to start with something pretty cheap and basic 'cos you are going to screw up, or at least not be too satisfied. The best firm of suppliers are Marcle Models, (A quick Google will find their website), they do a good book of hints and tips, and it includes a simple cabin cruiser to get you started !

Time-wise it's up to you, H.M.S. Dreadnought is going to take a while ! I am currently working on a German church, architectural stuff works well, (There's a great but fairly simple Neuschwanstein, (Ludwig of Bavaria's 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' castle). Probably the biggest is a huge Prague castle.

Thing is you have to be pretty precise cutting, particularly the initial structure, to keep things good and square.

Hope that helps a bit.

We are considering stocking these Newlyn, have you any idea who the manufactures are? does it say on the back of the book for instance ,or is it all in Polish like everything else these days :D

:P

The armour looks like it has lots of interior detail.

I seem to remember that prices are quite reasonable.

Dave. B)

Kenny,

There's one benefit, unlike plastic models, you don't have to stock paint and glues and all the other impedimenta that plastic modellers need. Card modellers can get most of their needs from W. H. Smith.

The two big German makers are Schreiber, (Relatively simple - lovely buildings, Brandenburg gate, castles and cathedrals), and Wilhelmshaven, (More difficult , but hey ! a WW1 German Dreadnought, 2-3 feet long !

Pricewise they start at just over a fiver for starter models, up to £40-50 for Prague Castle, biggest card model ever.

I guess a search on the web would quickly find their addresses etc. There are a whole lot of Polish firms too, generally well reviewed.

Let me know if I can help further. They do sell pretty well, I use to sell them in my shop, great stocking fillers for kids, and can keep Dad away from the booze on a Boxing day !

Don't know if Marcle models would do a trade deal on a quantity.

Cheers Newlyn,

think we will try to source them next month.So Schreiber do the buildings and Wilhelmshaven do the vehicles including the Panzer IV is that correct? How long have you been making these models? when you say they are strong would they last for years if looked after? Have you got a camera yet? would love to see some of the finished articles :)