Luftwaffe postcard

ANDREW CLIFFE

post-700-1248605297_thumb.jpgpost-700-1248605369_thumb.jpg

Can anyone recognise who this Luftwaffe guy is or read the words on the back.It is possible to make out the word 'Fritz' and a strange word which looks like'Afrbrink'(?)

Hope someone can help.

Andrew.

• Like 3

Hi Andrew and Welcome to the Forum I believe that it is actually a Photograph not a Postcard. The person however..... If He was not very important Eg just a solider it could take forever to find out who he was. But Someone else here may know who He is.
Regards RAF

• Like 3

Thanks RAF!!
The bottom right hand corner is embossed 'Langhans',
Don't think he's a famous ace anyway!

• Like 3

Someone may correct me if wrong, very hard to make out the exact insignia... The Collar and Shoulder boards are either denoting a Corporal or a Feldwebel... which is a Warrant Officer. I'm leaning more towards the latter.

And yes it is a photograph not a postcard.

• Like 3

It is also dated before the Waffenfarbe change in 1943, so the collar tabs, though black and white in the photo are a light colour. Possibly light blue (medical) or pink (engineers) maybe even light green (air traffic control).

Whatever it is, he is not a pilot and of very low rank.

• Like 3

so it is! i didn't notice a date even though its perfectly Clear! anyway yes i agree with Greg

• Like 3

you need to be careful with the date though, it is clearly lighter than the rest of the writing hinting it could have been added later or with a different pen... it also could have simply been an issue with the fountain pen that wrote the script on the back. The numbers are written in proper German style though (a 1 always looks likes a 7 when drawn in correct German style)

• Like 3

Allot of good points raised there, always hard to tell what it says because of the old style script looks like Fritz Thassrbrink or Tessbrink, as Greg says as this is Black and white the chap might not even be a pilot kind of looks red to me for flak but really hard to make a judgement with out seeing any more of the picture such as awards etc to clarify whither he is a pilot or not.

• Like 2

Thanks to all of you for your help.The photo itself is very soft-focus so insignia details are not really possible.That word '....brink',or whatever it says,is really bugging me!

• Like 2

Chris or one of our other German members should be able to tell us what it says , or even Gregs wife.

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

Just discovered this photo - not a low rank, but Feldwebel. The lightish coloured collar patches could denote Flieger (yellow) or Nachrichten/signals (light brown), Flak seems less likely, these would be somewhat darker in a black and white photo, medical would be a much darker dark blue, so not that.

post-700-1248605369.jpg

Text is:

Zur steten Erinnerung

gezeichnet,

Fritz Ahrbrink, 15.2.43

• Like 3

So the mystery is solved, brink is actually his name or rather Ahrbrink. How would that translate? for the memories, yours Fritz Ahrbrink, 15.2.43 ?

• Like 3

For (a) lasting (constant or permanant) memory,

signed

Fritz Ahrbrink

yes, the letter with a long loop below is a small "h". A very square capital "A".

• Like 3