New collector and one question!

Gerard Byram

Good afternoon. I am a new collector of German medals and badges and some Allied medals too. I've recently retired and given a life long interest in military history, collecting original medals appealed. I've started with the Iron cross having obtained one WW2 2nd class and two WW1 2nd class examples. I've used information from this forum and bought from dealers only. I've also obtained two honour crosses as they are relatively inexpensive but we're manufactured by many manufacturers and sometimes have the original issue document. I find them an interesting area to collect. 

My question. I have seen several de nazified medals and for completion would also like to include versions of these in my collection. What price should I be looking at for these? For example, there is a WW2 Iron cross 1sr class I have seen with the swastika removed from the centre which is priced at £120. That seems a reasonable price too me but I would be grateful for any guidance. Thank you

Gerard

• Like 5

120 for a 1st class denazified seems ok, so long as no further damage. I would prefer unaltered examples.

• Like 3

Hi, I agree with Fritz, £120 for an altered/de Nazified 1st class iron cross in otherwise good condition isn’t too expensive, unaltered ones range from £150 upwards depending on condition/ maker and completeness.

• Like 4

Thank you all for your advice. I will choose carefully and will be obtaining an unaltered example of both WW1 and WW2 EK1's when finances permit. The denazified version is for historical completeness as it continues the story of the Iron cross in the aftermath of WW2. Lots of really good advice on this and other forums for a new collector so thank you again.

• Like 4

I had a denazified Iron Cross 1st. Class, the swastika had been strongly hammered down without damaging the surrounds, the swastika was still
quite visible, a bargain for 50 Marks in the old days. I added it to an early Unteroffizier fieldblouse, which I unfortunately later traded on.

image.jpeg.5203b7c75d39fd14f2cb1e4e36d8b25d.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice Uniform!

• Like 5