HJ Marine Badge

Eddieq

Hi All

I’m going to start a Christmas debate (hopefully) which on the face of it seems a simple question - however, it is one that divides opinion in many forums and by many collectors.

Hitler Youth Marine badges - did they actually exist?

Regards

E

• Like 4

There was special insignia for Marine HJ formations

• Like 3

As far as I'm aware it's a complete fantasy badge. The HJ marine used the same red badge as the normal HJ, there was never a blue HJ diamond at any time. The maker is also bogus, Otto Hoffmann was a manufacturer of cloth HJ and BDM arm triangles.

• Like 4

Agreed, fantasy badge. Should be as below

Otto Hoffmann HJ Mitgliedsabzeichen

Goldenes HJ Ehrenzeichen Hitlerjugend Goldmitglied Abzeichen. Rzm 15. #  25336

• Like 4

The badges shown come from a lot I bought a while ago. It comprised of two albums which detailed the exploits of two British Scout/ Youth trips to Germany just prior to the war. The albums contain photos, itineries, boarding house receipts, maps, travel tickets and journal entries.

I don’t doubt the originality of the albums - given the source I got them from and the completeness of them.

However, attached to these albums , and marked with the same pencil and handwriting is a card insert with a number of badges attached to it - the badges are marked ‘German youth badges’ -see attached photos.

I absolutely accept the views and standpoint of the comments and have had the same views given to me before, however, it’s and interesting one - a conundrum.

E

737913F2-E340-4F20-B818-DBC3DC38FF2F.jpeg

C94DF5B5-8252-4B84-94E1-DE28602C9FC3.jpeg

64805339-4847-4B2E-A901-0CD9640EAB1B.jpeg

B2C0DF4A-0DD2-4B17-B153-2392BCC0CC8C.jpeg

8CB9D64A-26C3-41C0-80DA-A72DB41A6553.jpeg

F7EE6B41-1F7E-4FA6-A796-59ADFD365869.jpeg

9A5DC012-751B-4527-BD48-11A3840A3A87.jpeg

D1A61D83-7036-437F-A7D5-92E557DA60F1.jpeg

D4831D18-F82A-4366-BCF8-3E903BAE1CF1.jpeg

• Like 4

The set looks old, two badges of the Deutscher Studentenbund

image.jpeg.cd5b072733fc5dc917590beddc31fe6e.jpeg

and Flugmeldedienst

Reichsluftschutz Abzeichen Für den Flugmeldedienst"

• Like 4

That's the problem Eddie, once something is condemned as a copy it is very hard to prove otherwise without evidence. The blue so called marine badge started to appear in the 1970's in fact I know who made them. So there are certainly lots of fake marine badges out there, the question then is did any originals actually exist. Unless one can be found in a period photograph, bearing in mind it will be in black and white to make matters even more difficult. Or one can be found in a wartime grouping then it will be very hard to prove. Your group comes close however the doubters may say yes the albums are original but the owner may have picked the badges up after the war and added them to the collection hence the same handwriting. Another concern for me would be the German Aircraft reporting service badge, these only came out in 1940 when the war started so how would he manage to acquire one of these in 1937?                 

• Like 4

I totally agree Kenny. It’s probably one of those things that is going to remain a debate forever.

Again the aircraft spotters badge has always thickened the plot with me.

What also points to your scenario being possible is that the lady who made the albums as a teenager served as some kind of nurse or medical volunteer in Germany in the late forties/early fifties, so had opportunity to pick up items after the war.

• Like 3