WW1 French P1 Grenade

Gildwiller1918

The French P1 Grenade, also called the pear grenade because of its distinctive shape, fist became available in 1915. It was made of iron and had fragmented areas inside the grenade. Its utilized a percussion detonation, meaning that once it was armed, it had to impact something to detonate. To use, the thrower removed the string holding the handle back, this had a spring to allow it to move into a position parallel with the grenade body, a streamer and metal disk which was attached to the handle would fall out and serve to guide the grenade in flight. The thrower would throw the grenade like a spear, and the streamer would straighten out and the grenade would land on its metal base plate and explode. In the realities of trench warfare, this did not always happen and its use was not all that great, however since it was one of the early grenades, the Poilu had to make due until something better came along. Additionally, many accidents occurred when the securing string was broken or cut prematurely. This particular grenade was partially ruptured around the fuse area, I have restored it to its original look. Last image shows the condition in which I found it. P1 grenades are not easy to find today, especially complete with the spoon and fuse assembly. 

IMG_5836.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

pix883895512.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Nice rare piece 👌

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Hi guys. I acquired this piece over weekend. I can't find anything similar. If any one can help me figure out time period and what country I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

G7.jpg

G8.jpg

G1.jpg

G2.jpg

G3.jpg

G4.jpg

G5.jpg

G6.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry, forgot. There is no markings and upper part is made of wood, hopefully it's visible on pictures. My best gas it's gas bomb and wood cracks at the time of detonation to release gas. I could be wrong, I'm no expert, just an amateur collector.

• Like 3

Hi Alex, I'm afraid I know very little about these items, Gildwiller and Achtung Spitfire are the experts on these. Gildwiller usually replies very quickly so I think he may be on holiday, but I'm sure he will be along soon and hopefully be able to help.    

• Like 3

Hello AlexR, can you provide dimensions of the grenade exterior, length, etc.?

• Like 2

Thank you for the measurements. This one is a tough one. My first impression was that it was French, mainly from the design of the fuse which looks very similar to the Mle 1935 French Fuse. 50mm is the standard size for French VB and rifle grenade launchers. Furthermore, the Grenade body and wooden top portion are nearly identical the the French Model 1916 DR grenade. The Mle 1916 was designed to be fired from cup launchers or multiple barreled platforms. The 1916 model is more segmented, but it has a flat bottom like yours and a screw in the side of the body. It is not exactly a Mle 1916, but close to it, perhaps a later version that was converted to a hand grenade. French grenades were widely copied and used by many nations for decades. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you. If I do find out, I will post a reply.

R.jpg

dr-schema-abc-du-grenadier-.jpg

2v9rl2w.jpg

• Like 2