Sign in to follow this  
Buster

Cap badge

I Picked this up last week,  As can be seen it's a Royal Scots  fusilier cap badge, albeit a worn example, i like the age patina it has.. My great grandfather  ( Thomas Grier) was is the  regiment, but  unfortunately he was killed on the 28 March 1918 .

Screenshot_20190426-130441.png

Screenshot_20190426-085332.png

Screenshot_20190513-142246.png

• Like 4

Hi Buster, That's a very fitting tribute for your Great Grandfather and the ultimate sacrifice he made.

My Great Uncle was in the Royal Scots Fusiliers too although he was in the 12th Battalion they may have known each other. Here are some new pictures I have found of him.  

tommedals.jpg

Thomas Caldwell's medals on display at the Royal Highlanders Museum, Glasgow, Scotland.

(Picture - Thomas Stewart)

tomnew mem.jpg

Carluke has the distinction of being home to three gallant recipients of the Victoria Cross - William Angus; Thomas Caldwell; and Donald Cameron. Among its other sons of note is Major General William Roy, the father of Ordnance Survey, born in Carluke in 1726 to whom a monument in the form of a “Trig” point stands in Miltonhead Road close to his place of birth.

man1-1593914.jpg

Studio portrait postcard

4635230713_477x366.jpg

Caldwell VC (left) with William Angus VC and Donald Cameron VC

tomwearingmedals.jpg

1960's 

vc3.JPG

This photo, taken in 1919, shows William Angus VC with Sgt Thomas Caldwell VC, the second son of Carluke to be awarded a VC

• Like 1
  • Wow 1