Post a celebrity who served their country, add some pictures and their service details, one celebrity per post. 

Peter Sellers CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire 1966) 

In September 1943 Peter Sellers joined the Royal Air Force, although it is unclear whether he volunteered or was conscripted  his mother unsuccessfully tried to have him deferred on medical grounds. Sellers wanted to become a pilot, but his poor eyesight restricted him to ground staff duties. He found these duties dull, so auditioned for Squadron Leader Ralph Reader's RAF Gang Show entertainment troupe. Reader accepted him and Sellers toured the UK before the troupe was transferred to India. His tour also included Ceylon and Burma, although the duration of his stay in Asia is unknown, and Sellers may have exaggerated its length. He also served in Germany and France after the war. According to David Lodge, who became friends with Sellers, he was "one of the best performers ever" on the drums and developed a fine ability to impersonate military officers during this period. 

peter.jpg

sellers-hitler.jpg

• Like 2

Sir Michael Caine CBE ( Knighted 2000, Commander of the Order of the British Empire 1992) 

In 1951 Michael Caine joined the Queens Royal Regiment and the Royal Fusiliers and served in Germany and Korea.

Here's a few words on the time he spent in Korea. Whenever I killed someone there was no guilt, no remorse - it didn't feel real. It was during the Korean War and I was just trying to stay alive. It was self-defense. It was always done at night and we never had any idea who we had killed. I didn't even think about it - we had machine guns and we just did it. I never did anything close up or hand-to-hand. It didn't give me nightmares, because the Army brutalizes you. It was like the World War I trenches - half a mile apart - and we were just firing backwards and forwards, so we never knew who any of our victims were as individuals. You never saw the whites of a man's eyes when you killed him.

I was nearly killed. There were four of us on patrol in a valley in the middle of the rice paddies. The Chinese were closing in on us and the officer said, 'Let's run towards their line - they won't expect it because they'll be expecting us to run away towards our lines.' So we did that and we ended up going right around them. They couldn't find us because they were looking in the wrong place and we got away. But we'd faced that moment that we thought was the end.

That night we went back to our bunkers and celebrated with a beer. We were just happy to be alive . . . I faced a moment when I knew I was going to die and I didn't run, I wasn't a coward, and it affected me deeply. I was at peace with myself and that's guided my life, not just in terms of whether someone's going to kill me, but in everything.

caine.jpg

Michael Caine standing second from left in the Royal Fusiliers.

zulu-477421.jpg

His first starring role in the 1964 epic war film Zulu.

• Like 2

Never realised he had been in the military.

• Like 2

One of the other prominent actors in the film was Siegfried Rauch, some of whose last rôles were as the Kapitän in the popular TV-Series "Traumschiff" and also in der "Bergdoktor".   Rauch (+85)  died on 11. March 2018. He had been in the film business since 1956, and soon got many international parts, particularly in war films as "the German". All the good old actors and actresses have now nearly all died out.

His country was Bavaria.

Abschied mit Tränen... A short obituary and report about the funeral was in the Münchener Abendzeitung:

https://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.beerdigung-des-bergdoktor-siegfried-rauch-so-bewegend-nimmt-seine-familie-abschied.1ce6fed0-2347-434c-8542-145579c7de5b.html

image.thumb.png.1fa6ed3b02c607f3ea1063d7cc44cc4c.png

image.png.76932ded0b376a0a878293409503307c.pngimage.thumb.png.2d4fd1d5a9054059ec0f7d6d0b84dcd3.png

• Like 2

On 10/06/2018 at 07:21, kenny andrew said:

Post a celebrity who served their country, add some pictures and their service details, one celebrity per post. 

Peter Sellers CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire 1966) 

In September 1943 Peter Sellers joined the Royal Air Force, although it is unclear whether he volunteered or was conscripted  his mother unsuccessfully tried to have him deferred on medical grounds. Sellers wanted to become a pilot, but his poor eyesight restricted him to ground staff duties. He found these duties dull, so auditioned for Squadron Leader Ralph Reader's RAF Gang Show entertainment troupe. Reader accepted him and Sellers toured the UK before the troupe was transferred to India. His tour also included Ceylon and Burma, although the duration of his stay in Asia is unknown, and Sellers may have exaggerated its length. He also served in Germany and France after the war. According to David Lodge, who became friends with Sellers, he was "one of the best performers ever" on the drums and developed a fine ability to impersonate military officers during this period. 

peter.jpg

sellers-hitler.jpg

I liked the film in which he disguised himself as the  concièrge in a stately hotel in a former castle in either Bavaria or Austria, the disguise alone was enough to make you burst out laughing, and then all of a sudden his false nose started to melt....! Can't remember which film that was, sometime in the mid 1980s. I found a picture that reminded me of this, but probably not the same film.image.png.e22a35fb967212eb4edc2375cac828fd.png

• Like 2

Yes that's the problem with Peter Sellers he made so many films, I'm still discovering new ones, many of his films have long since been deleted. The melting nose is from The Pink Panther Strikes Again from 1976

Here's another bizarre clip from the same film

The picture you posted is from Revenge of the Pink Panther 1978 he was totally mad in real life too :D

• Like 1

image.png.c6f4757865ff1ce0a62d0d166e9f0cca.pngReminds me of the old days when life (live, as the Germans say and mean life) was a laff (laugh!)

By the way, how did you find the clips so quickly?!?

• Like 2

Could have been this one

• Like 2

Yes life was a lot easier in the old days . That's actually two films, the first part is from A Shot in the Dark the second film from 1964, and the second part is The Pink Panther Strikes Again, from 1976. Easy to find the clips as I'm a big Peter Sellers fan, here's a funny clip from Parkinson 1974   :D

• Like 1

Another great clip, soo very subtle...A "Bömb", I wonder how people would take this nowadays?

• Like 1

Yes that's very funny too :D He was a very strange man in real life , and could be very difficult, I remember reading about the Parkinson interview  that I posted above that Parkinson said minutes before he was due to be interviewed he decided he did not want to do it any more, and caused the producers all sorts of problems, he finally changed his mind and said he would do it only if he could come on as someone else, hence the German uniform.

Another story which I have tried to find on the net but to no avail, is another one by Micheal Parkinson I think I saw it on a TV show marking Parkinson's  retirement.It went something like this.

I later made friends with Peter Sellers he invited myself and my wife Helen to visit him in his large mansion for lunch. We drove for several hours to visit him, when we arrived at the arranged time I knocked on his door, there was no reply, although I was sure I could hear some one moving behind the door. We waited for another ten minutes or so as it had taken so long to get there but eventually after knocking again and again had to give up. We got back into our car and drove away, when I looked in the rear mirror I saw Peter Sellers standing in his drive way waving us goodbye. I never had anything to do with him again after this. :D      

• Like 1