War time Posters

leon21

• 6 years later...

Discovered this amazing poster dating from November 1945. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, never seen anything like this before.
This means that the wearing or possession of ski-caps or ski-cap type headdress for civilians or any other persons is illegal, and all households are obliged to surrender these items. Any person seen wearing such a headdress in public is liable to punishment by the military government, confiscation and court martial by the military authorities. There is also the claim that the number of caps already surrendered is insufficient and that the quote will have to be achieved, by whatever means.
Poster issued by the Bürgermeister (who was installed by the Americans) of the city of Gütersloh (near Bielefeld) and enforced by the American military authorities, 3. November 1945

weltkrieg-gt-skimuetzen.jpg

• Like 2

Here's an original, very rare wartime period poster of the most famous image of Hitler with the infamous slogan 'Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer' to bottom. Maker 'CARL WERNER REICHENBACH i.v.' is printed to bottom right corner. Excellent condition with creases along fold lines. Size 85 cm x 59 cm. The poster was brought back with other items by an R.A.F. veteran and we acquired it from his family.
2196a-zoom.jpg

2196b-zoom.jpg

• Like 1

The point I was trying to make, was that the wear or possession of "Ski-Caps" was declared illegal in this postwar zone by the Allied Military Authorities, and that these were all to be handed over by order. Beat that for oppression.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a selection of ww1 posters from four countries.

kitchener-ww1-poster[1].jpg

1424825091[1].png

1477109801[1].png

1435660902[1].png

• Like 2

The Sturmbataillon Schmidt is after WW1. The Garde-Kavallerie-Schützen-Division (of the Freikorps) was a peacekeeping and border defence force at the beginning of the Weimar era, and was made up of volunteers and veterans of the trenches. Officers of this unit were said to be responsable for the death of Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Liebknecht immediately after their arrest in Berlin, January 1919.

LiebknechtLuxemburg.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's an interesting fundraising poster for 1917.

Fundraising Poster 1917.jpg

• Like 2

Some great posters, most of which I have never seen before. Where did you find these? I do have an original WW1 U-Boot poster, which I must add in some time, this I discovered nearly 50 years ago in a charity shop in London-Walthamstow (!), it only cost around 1 pound (!)  but had two small corners missing, which I was able to "restore".

• Like 2

Found them on the web there are some good sites that deal with war time posters.

• Like 2

"Parole  -  Heimat" - An original WW1 Kaiserliche Marine U-Boot poster, probably dating from 1917/18 (as from August 1917), with some slight damage and aging.
A couple of corners had to be "restored", however some of the original script being left out, such as the bottom right hand corner,
the name of the designer. Have never come across a further example.

100_3508.JPG

100_3509.JPG

100_3510.JPG

100_3511.JPG

100_3512.JPG

• Like 2

Very Nice Paul, that must be a very rare poster.

• Like 2