Military foods

Greg

The Curry posts have me thinking... firstly, no one should EVER collect military food packs but I know they do... so here are my experiences:

US Army Meal-Combat-Individual (upgraded C-ration)... these are HORRID foods in cans. Not even C rations they are long persevered items such as turkey leg and gravey that lasts up to 5 years! I had them back in scouting... nasty stuff. The crackers and cookies supplied were incredibly hard and impossible to eat without soaking in coffee/tea first. We once took one and drove over it with a Ford F-350 dual wheel diesel pickup fully loaded with our gear and the entire troop of boys, easily 3+ tons... damn thing did not even crack.

My other odd experience... Civil War (authentic) Hardtack... this is flour, salt bit of water baked so hard it could stop a bullet. It lasted ages too. I've made some at times for people but in Gettysburg PA once I saw some on display for sale (as stated original Civil War vintage). It still looked perfectly ok... to my shock someone was buying it!

Dont kid yourself,the food they have in iraq is excellent especially the Yanks with on site kfc Macdonalds etc and plenty of mommas apple pie.My mate an ex Royal marine did training with the so called elite USMC and said they were so unfit and spoilt with food.His unit 42 commando kicked their ass on long speed marches.The British food is pretty good but remember k rations are for extended periods in the field.