All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Another note on collar and patches - this is an example of a collar, which has been removed in order to fit a new collar, this being too worn, this was common practice, instead of issuing a new tunic, not how patches are mounted in this case, early style. A further example of a non-issue, possibly officer's collar, either from unused tailors stocks or kept as a spare. Below, the other ranks' field issue liner for a collar, these were always worn to protect the collar from neck dirt and grease, as tunics cannot be laundered like US cotton shirts, and had to be always immaculate. An example of a stiffened collar liner for the parade tunic or an officer's formal dress tunic.
  3. You got me Fritz, but I appreciate the info! I could not even read that with my eyes, had to use a magnifying glass...
  4. Maker looks like either a 6 or a 9 - I tend to read this as a 6 6 = Fritz Zimmermann (Stuttgart) 9 = Liefergemeinschaft Pforzheimer Schmuckhandwerker
  5. Here is my medal, it also has a stamp on the ring.
  6. Here is another cap, French inspired look. This one has a nice liner and leather sweatband, could have been an officers cap as well. The sweatband has the makers information embossed.
  7. Here is another enlisted cap, with the generic "US" disk. This one is British made, as you can faintly make out the stamps on the cotton sweatband.
  8. Here is a enlisted cap, with a early US National Guard disk applied. Cotton sweatband, no tags present.
  9. Another nice condition enlisted cap, with the generic "US" disk. Cotton sweatband and tag remnants.
  10. Below is another enlisted cap (although these types were sometimes worn by officers, without branch colors). It has a cloth sweatband and a tag that is washed out. It also has an unauthorized pin, typically these were sweetheart pins or veterans pins, so most likely this was added after the war.
  11. Here is another enlisted engineer cap, it has a cloth sweatband with two ink stamps that are too faded to read. Note the safety pin along the top, it was common for soldiers to pin the open ridge shut or sew it shut to give a smarter appearance.
  12. Another enlisted cap, this one for medical personnel. This cap has a cloth sweatband, and a makers label as well as the owners label.
  13. Here is another enlisted cap, this one with an artillery disk. It has no liner, but is excellent shape.
  14. Here is a nice 1919 dated cap, Sept 10, 191 to be exact. Although the war ended in November of 1918, allied troops were still overseas in many places in occupation roles.
  15. Last week
  16. Here is another example of the previous one listed.
  17. Here is an unissued enlisted cap, still with the cutter tags applied. Millions of caps were made, most of them never got overseas before the war ended. However due to the large size of the cap, I imagine that is why it was not issued.
  18. Here is a very quality enlisted side cap, troops wore the "US" type disk or a disk for their respective branch of service. The sweatband has been removed from this one, however the quality of the wool suggest early war or private purchase.
  19. Here is another enlisted engineer cap, this one has a screw back disk, and is fully lined.
  20. Here is a nice enlisted engineer cap, it has a cotton sweatband and a screw back disk applied.
  21. Here is another enlisted cap, this one with an Air Service device. It is interesting also, as it is British made. The US had contracted several countries to make uniforms and related gear to help with the massive troop buildup. Unfortunately the cap has some minor moth damage.
  22. Here is a US enlisted cap, french inspired design. It has no liner which is common for the enlisted side, but has a small cotton sweatband. It has a pin backed "US" disk applied.
  23. Here is another Corps of Engineers cap, this one for a 1st Lieutenant. The cap is lined but has not leather sweatband. It has the pin back coffin type rank bar.
  24. Below is another style of cap, this one for a Corps of Engineers Captain. Engineer Officers wore white and red as their branch colors. It has a pin back false embroidered rank pin applied.
  25. Here is a WW1 US Signal Corps Captains cap, the signal corps used the white and orange colors to denote their service. This cap is made from wool, with a nice cotton liner with a leather sweatband. No names, tags or stamps present. Nice bullion Captains bar applied. Overall excellent condition.
  26. In WW1 US troops arriving in France and other locations traded in their felt peaked caps for a more practical soft foldable cap. This was the overseas cap, later called the garrison cap, it also had various nicknames. There are many various types and designs, lots of variations. I will post some here to show these differences. Feel free to add to this thread or comment.
  27. Yeah, looks like it has seen some action, unfortunately don't know anything about its history.
  1. Load more activity

Announcements

• Welcome to the Treasure Bunker Forum - Please feel free to join and share your knowledge, with our growing data base of collectors and historians, both new and advanced.