US CAMOUFLAGE UNIFORM USED IN EUROPE 44

LACKIE14

The first photograph below was taken in July 1944,

It is captioned U.S. soldier from the 41st Armoured Infantry Regiment somewhere in France 1944 wearing a two-piece herringbone twill (HBT) camouflage.

which was similar to those used by marines in the Pacific, It was a different cut from the Marines and not reversible either. They were designed to be worn over the existing unifrom.

During 1944 this camo was quickly abandoned in North West Europe because of the similarity to the uniform of the Waffen SS, friendly fire?

I RECENTLY CAME ACROSS THIS PHOTOGRAPH THINKING IT WAS A ONE OFF, HAVE SINCE DISCOVERED SEVERAL UNITS WERE ISSUED THIS UNIFORM.

incidently i remember seeing a european museum exhibition with a manequin wearing one of these uniforms and thinking it strange, a pacific marine among other us army uniforms. i can't remember which museum wish i had know the difference would have taken lots of pics of rare piece of equipment.

post-564-1322063814_thumb.jpg

post-564-1322063829_thumb.jpg

the US experimented with many camo patterns in both theatres. It was more issues with the types of fabrics than anything else that caused poor results with many. I have an entire book on the subject, sadly boxed in the States though!

the US experimented with many camo patterns in both theatres. It was more issues with the types of fabrics than anything else that caused poor results with many. I have an entire book on the subject, sadly boxed in the States though!

not so rare then greg?

oh still very rare, but not unheard of that the US Army was trying a lot of camo types.

I believe that camo uniforms were mainly used by US engineer units and that they were dropped due to confusion with Waffen SS camo. Most allied soldiers believed only Germans used camo clothing.

Cromwell tanks were fired upon by British units when they were first used in Normandy as they were relatively new.