Real Valkyrie Picture

Came across this great picture of Colonel Claus Graf von Stauffenberg(far left) meets Hitler on a footpath leading

to the briefing hut at Wolfsschanze. General Karl Bodenschatz (shaking hands with Hitler) and Rear Admiral Karl

Puttkamer (second from left), would be wounded in the bombing five days later. Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel (right)

escaped injury. I can see why they picked Tom Cruise to play the part of Stauffenberg, there is a likeness.

post-3823-1321988390_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

As well as Cruises box office appeal which would sell the film the bigger reason for casting him.Forget the fact he was about 5 inches shorter!

• Like 3

I wonder if they gave him shoes/boots with built up heels to make him taller.I remember Alan Ladd aways had

shoes built up to make him taller in his films. ;)

• Like 3

you can forget built up heels, cruise would have needed a ladder to get up to Stauffenbergs height

• Like 3

I really don't know why Stauffenberg has been made out to be a hero. He and his chums didn't want to stop the war, just make sure that Germany would win it. They planned to take out the best General the allies had (Hitler) and hoped to make peace with the west.

Stauffenberg described Poland as "a land of Jews and Gypsies." He had no sympathy for the countries Germany defeated.

• Like 2

Nevertheless what he did was brave.He knew the war was lost and unwinnable.His views of his Germany he served troubled his conscience and sense of morality.He may have had views towards gypsies etc but he was a product of his background and time.And views such as his is quite different to actually proceeding with total genocide and a barbaric war of annihilation which the Nazis AND the Wehrmacht were becoming invoved in.

• Like 2

I agree he was brave but no more heroic than many others fighting in the war. I don't feel that he should be hero worshiped as I still feel his motives were not honourable to values that we have.

Just my 2p worth.

• Like 2

What values? What values in todays world especially? And did Hitler have any values? Saying it was dishonorable to do the better and moral thing and remove a great evil? I think sometimes as collectors of nazi militaria we forget the complete evil and barbarity of the nazi regime and that INCLUDES the complicity of the Wehrmacht.Try reading Wettes book The Wehrmacht for the glossing over of the armys part in genocide etc.Of course the great lie fed postwar was that most Germans were good and had to go along with the regime.This suited the new West Germany and her Western allies. German people today have confronted this in numerous books and exhibitions throughout Germany and acknowledge it to be nonsense.They have confronted their past.

Being a brave soldier is heroic,yes,but to stand up and act against your state and leader for your greater moral conscience and for humanity itself is braver.And knowing you would likely die for it.Had more 'honourable' German soldiers the courage to stand up and face the evil engulfing their 'cultured' nation of Goethe,Beethoven,Schiller etc then millions might have been saved.

• Like 2

I meant the values that we as individuals (hopefully) have - not that of goverments. I know of the Whermacht's part in "Nazi Barbarity", just look at the photos of atrocities where you can see army, LW uniforms etc.

As for the modern Germany I think Stauffenberg would have little agreement with its values.

I still believe that all the evidence shows he was behind the war and Germany's victory. He just decided to assinate the best "allied" general.

The actions of the conspirators tightened the grip of the Nazis on the German military making it more difficult for soldiers of all ranks to stop fighting. There had been previous attempts on Hitler's life made by people who really were against the regime for humanitarian reasons.

Perhaps it's because I get so annoyed at Hollywood's version of history. Particularly when so many young people think the Americans captured the Enigma machine.

• Like 2

Well maybe he would think modern Germanys values of making anti semitism,racism,homophobia,gender equality etc wrong..maybe not.Personally i think modern Germany and her modern values and society fairly admirable..

• Like 2

Yes I agree. My unease about von Stauffenberg is that he was a very active member of the Prussian military caste who were the other side of the coin of the Nazis in the 30's. They used the Nazis (Hitler) but there was mutual animosity between the parties. Both were anti democrats and believed in war to further Germany's aims.

• Like 2

yes i don't think the ordinary german service man would have had much time for either the nazi's or the prussian officer class.

• Like 2

Brave or foolhardy, in the end the the bomb plot failed, and cost a lot of Germans their lives, both soldiers and civilians. ;)

• Like 2

Yes and the principles of officer class etc applied equally to Britain and we are always taught her aims are democratic which is nonsense.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Just take a look at what is happening in the world today. Things are not getting better.

• Like 3