Do German Gasmasks contain Asbestos?

RAF635SQ

Unfortunately yes, German gas masks and even their filters contain asbestos. I’m not a expert on this topic but I know enough.

The comments saying just charcoal is in the masks/filters are wrong. German Gas masks are known to have asbestos in their filters and other  harmful substances/materials at present. The Civilian German Gas Mask is known to have asbestos inside of it usually a ring of asbestos which is a white layer. The Gas Masks were also preserved in a white powder substance as we know as talcum powder, talcum powder now is known to contain traces of asbestos or is presumed. You can display your gas mask but I prefer to keep mine in its original box. There shouldn’t be anything to worry about unless the asbestos is disturbed or broken, you can buy sprays to stabilise the asbestos.

Hope this information  helped!

Kind Regards,

Tom.

• Like 3

Thanks Tom, very helpful, could you post some information on the sprays you can buy to stabilise the asbestos? 

• Like 3

Hello, unfortunately I don’t know anything about what the sprays are to stabilise the asbestos or what they’re called. Try looking for one asbestos sealant spray or something. Sorry!

Kind Regards,

Tom.

• Like 3

I think you are all worrying about nothing. Keep the masks in their containers, and there will be no danger.

• Like 3

Hello Fritz,

I’m not the one worrying, I believe that the others could be but it’s always best to be careful!

Good point well made.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Stop worrying. Charcoal is not dangerous!

• Like 3