Silver coins

leon21

Now might be a good time to pick up any german silver coins going cheap, with the way precious metal

prices keep going up and up.

Here's some pics of mine.

post-3823-1314439411_thumb.jpg

post-3823-1314439449_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I take it you wont sell them to a metal dealer :)

I bought a huge tin full of WW2 German coins a few years ago at a car boot sale for £2, not really worth much but you cant go wrong for £2 for an entire tin of 100's of them.

• Like 1

The average scrap value for a silver 5 reichsmark coin is about £10 on the weight alone at the moment

if you have a tin full of silver coins you stand to make a very good profit. Personally I would keep a few

for the collection and anything left you already have sell on. ;)

• Like 1

It would be a shame no matter how common these are to scrap them. I personally think its wrong to scrap anything historical. The famous Tiger tank in France which is a veteran of the Falaise gap almost got the torch along time ago, back then a tiger tank was worth nothing but scrap to everyone :o

I just think its sad to see coins like this scraped for money, you have some nice clean examples there to, some of which are quite desirable to the right people for a lot more money than £10. :)

• Like 1

I have to side with leon, part of collecting is improving a collection and keeping prime examples, the rest you have is used as barter, trader and sales items to increase your collection.

if someone is paying way over value for a common item is only helps to destabilize the collecting market and also con someone out of a lot of cash for essentially a swindle. It happens but the buyer is either a fool or ill-educated to the market values.

• Like 1

Ah good point Greg I didn't see it like that at first.

• Like 1

Ah good point Greg I didn't see it like that at first.

it is how the housing market crashed - people paying way over value for something not worth that value. It can happen with the collecting market too... what would happen if tomorrow everyone started to say WWII Jeeps are worth £80,000 and you had bought it for that and then two years from now you find out it is only worth £10,000.

• Like 1

selling items for scrap prices is OK as long as the items are not actually scrapped, so many times we get offered WW1 trios where the silver war medal has been sold for scrap.

As long as items are sold as scrap then sold on again rather than being melted down then it is OK , but I would hate to think of medals coins etc being melted down just to make a piece of jewellery.

• Like 1

Like French Cannon being used to make Franco Prussian War medals for combatants in Germany Kenny? :hapy0002:

• Like 1

That would probably be acceptable :D as well as making VC's from the Chinese made cannon used by the Russians at Sebastopol :D

• Like 1

I think when we talk about scrap prices, all we mean is that it is the minimum market price you can expect to get.

Many dealers try and buy items for less than that value, or pay up to the market value then try and sell the item

for as much as they can get to make their profit. You only have to watch some of the antique programmes on tv

to see how its done.

• Like 1

I knew a dealer who would buy scrap gold and he actually did melt it down as he was making a gold bar which I thought was pretty cool, I have not seen him in a few years I wonder how big the gold bar is now, I told him to put a reichbank eagle and swastika on it :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

just to add to the comments on the ww1 trios.Many of the silver medals are melted down for scrap value.

There was a story on another site of a dealer in India buying all the silver medals he could ,many of them ISM ,and throwing them into a melting pot!Just how much history has been lost due to the greed of some people?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...