Back to models!

Greg

After 15-20 years without having built a single model I became bored, missed it and have jumped back into building. Since I need to build up my equipment and paint stock again right now it is nothing special. I've built an FW-109, P-51 Mustang and working on an F-15E Strike Eagle from airfix as they all come with paints, glue and brushes and I can get them cheap at ModelZone.

I never built airfix models, tended to get the Revell in the States but while basic the airfix kits are nice fits and I like them and they are great for refreshing skills before tackling something larger.

As for kit to get, few questions for the experienced modellers:-

1. What are you using for filler? Milliput seems quite popular. Though to be honest I am using all purpose filler from B&Q at the moment because I have it on a shelf and it seems to do the trick quite well. Hardware store stuff is cheaper and seems fine but thoughts?

2. Anyone suggest a decent but cheap airbrush starter kit?

3. What are you using for your paint primer and sealer coats? Again, stick with the expensive standards from model shops or do you go out to B&Q and but a larger and cheaper all purpose can of spray paint?

I don't really say much about it but i have been a model builder all my life, i mainly do 1:35 Tamiya kits, my latest being a replica of our Jeep.

Now to answer your questions :)

I always have used Milliput as a filler, works great :)

Airbrushes can be quite a pain, i personally have a top of the range one worth around £200, so they can be quite expensive, i think Revell do an airbrush starter kit for £30 though which is great for starting modelling again.

For a primer I use a special plastic primer by Tamiya, comes in a handy spray can and its quite large to, its about £7 i believe.

Primer??? now I know where I was going wrong?

Do you need primer for plastic kits? I thought it was only for metal kits? I've been toying with the idea of building a kit but just don't seem to have the time these days between trying to keep up with big brother,sky news riots/Libya and I have started playing "Rome total war" on the computer again, anyone played that ? it's very addictive, but brilliant.

Yep, primer helps a lot for plastic models, especially when airbrushing or using quite a watery paint. Its not the most serious thing but it does help a lot :)

I never used primers when younger.... could not afford all the airbrush stuff or spray paints and I got very good at brush painting only... I also only used enamels.... loved the paint fumes

I turned our caravan into my model area when its not in use, i was out there one winters day and the windows of course where closed. I made myself very ill when i left my glue lid off, was not a good idea :wacko:

But yes, I didn't mean it was needed, i meant that primer helps if you can get some :)

no wonder caravans are so hated on the road... here for years i thought it was some mid aged mid life crisis couple trying to drive down a road too small just to annoy me... nope, that caravan was actually RAF shouting to his folks 'Dad drive slower you're making me smudge the paint on my Panzer'

lol

right I could understand it for airbrushing etc, I used to use enamels too, but I have heard the new way to paint is too use acrylics , I dropped a toy soldier in the shop and had to touch it up using acrylics ,I actually quite enjoyed painting it and turned out better than before it was damaged.Do you need primer for acrylics? I know the good thing about them is you only need water to clean the brushes instead of white spirit.

Just the same as the enamels, its optional really, i use it on all my models personally.

and Greg :D

There are many opinions on painting models. Most people prime now. I use Humbrel enamels but Halfords grey primer or the Games Workshop paints are popular.

The use of enamels or acrylics is a personal choice. There are a lot of good paints on the market now - Tamiya, Vallejo, Lifecolour etc.

See the internet for cheap airbrush and compressor sets. Revell do a basic model airbrush compressor that you can pick up for £75 (Wonderland in Edinburgh.) I bought one for the school hobby and its fine. When you start out get a simple two action airbrush eg Badger 200 series. Always use a vapour mask when spraying - particularly with acrylics as they come out as fine plastic particles very dangerous to lungs.

I'm using acrylics at the moment and 2 painted without primer no issues. I'm building a F15 right now and thought possibly I'd give it a shot because it is a larger surface area at 1:72 scale (twice the size of a WWII aircraft) so would make things simple. I'll try to post some pics soon with the paint differences betwenn brushing with and without.

You know what I do miss.... paint sets! Back in the early 90s Testor made most of the paints in the US and you could purchase paint packs easily of about 12 paints. These would come in WWII German or Allied armour, aircraft, modern armour or aircraft, WWII troops, etc.... it was nice because you would have a complete set of all the colours needed and not be cursing out missing a single paint and needing to run to a hobby shop.

Hi Greg,

Lifecolour do sets of paints. They have a wide range including armour and figure sets.

Jamieson in Glasgow has a few but you'll get the rest from internet shops.

Photos of the first 3 in order of build, FW190D, then a P51 Mustang then F15E Strike Eagle... just fiddling with them to get back into technique but came out well. In the end they are all hand painted, I could not be bothered with spray paint and all.

Working on a Airfix Stug III now and deciding if it needs zimmerit and a more modern 1:35 Raketenjagdpanzer Jaguar 2 of the Bundeswehr.

post-17-1314905050_thumb.jpg

post-17-1314905064_thumb.jpg

post-17-1314905080_thumb.jpg

Good work!

The airfix Stug has a saukompf mantlet. It would be a late build so zimm is not needed. However there might be a pic out there of a rebuilt vehicle with both features.

airfix decals for the mustang = terrible, but got them on in the end.

Nice work! Airfix did a good model of the Stug considering it was produced in 1963!