Panzerwrecks 5

:D:D

Hi all,

This is the latest title in a series of books by Lee Archer and William Auerbach. The books feature photos of knocked out or abandoned late war German armour. Most photos have been taken by US Signal Corps cameramen. The quality of their cameras and lenses give rise to very sharp images. :o

Volume 5 starts off with several pages giving updates on photos from Volume 1 in the series. I do not have this book and it shows the continuing research being carried out on the subject matter.

Some Russian photos are included this time giving some atmospheric battlefield shots.

Beside Panzer IVs, Tigers and Panthers there are images of Beute or captured armour in German use. I liked the shots of captured Fireflys in German markings. The muzzle brakes on these tanks had been changed for German ones. I wonder if the main armament was the gun from the Panther KwK 42 L70? A great modelling project. One of the vehicles is preserved in the Belgian Tank Museum. :P

To show how desperate the Germans were in the final years of the war obsolete vehicles feature too, the little Polish Tankette T.K.S. and a shot of a 38t with an American wrestler standing beside it. You couldn’t make that up!

Fans of the exotic will like the pictures of Polish Troops examining the hulls and turrets of the planned “Maus” super tank. You really get an idea of the armour thickness and size of this gigantic beast! A bonus is some good shots of Polish uniform and insignia.

This is a great book (and series) for Armour buffs or those with an interest in the closing months of the war.

Dave :lol::lol:

• Like 1